Shell-less egg - why?

Chickengirl209

Songster
May 30, 2022
Pennsylvania, USA
Yesterday my hen laid a really strange egg. I will try to describe it. I'll attatch the picture later.
It had no shell, and was being held together by membrane. The first part of it was the size of a normal egg. But then, at the bottom of the egg, the membrane continued, becoming smaller, and wrapped around something like a mini egg that contained just a yolk!
The hen is about 22 wks old and started laying arround a week and a half ago.

Does anyone know about this?

Yesterday my hen laid a really strange egg. I will try to describe it. I'll attatch the picture later.
It had no shell, and was being held together by membrane. The first part of it was the size of a normal egg. But then, at the bottom of the egg, the membrane continued, becoming smaller, and wrapped around something like a mini egg that contained just a yolk!
The hen is about 22 wks old and started laying arround a week and a half ago.

Does anyone know about this?
I think it’s called a jelly egg. It’s when the egg accidentally skips the shell process. It’s not a bad thing, but Giving them some chicken oyster shell can help.

6358B871-ABB4-4221-9215-63CB5419347C.jpeg

Might need to add calcium / oyster shells to the feed. I occasionally save the shells when I cook and put in a blender til powdered then mix in the feed

Back
Top Bottom