Shell-Less Egg

You would need to be able to prove that a lack of calcium was the direct cause.
Thousands of chicken keeprs feed their flocks with various types of all flock feeds which have varying levels of calcium.
At what level of calcium would you consider such feeds to be safe for laying hens. The highest calcium feed I can get here is 6%. The manufactures make it quite clear that this feed is for caged hens. Such hens are not going to live beyond two years old so there is no evidence whether such high doses of calcium are harmful in the long term.
The quantity of eggs a hen lays in her most productive years has a great influence on how much calcium she requires; higher production hens obviously requiring more calcium.
Then there is the calcium sourced from other things including water. Here for example we have well water which has a very high calcium content. Free range or partially ranged chicken get calcium from grass and many bugs and shoots.
So, to be taken seriously one would need to stipulate just how much calcium a particular breed of hen requires in a given set of circumstances.
I don't need to prove anything. I specifically said that it may or may not be the feed and that this is the reason I don't give my birds an option of choosing to eat oyster shell on the side.

Do you have a picture of one of her eggs you can post next to a rule?
What is the point in doing that? I understand that her eggs are bigger than my finger. Go catch one of your 400-gram hens and you tell me how easy it is to check for an egg.

You know, I really, really love the Leghorn personality. At least, the two I’ve had so far. They’re super alert, vocal, curious, bossy, friendly, seem to enjoy affection from me. However, sadly, I think Dorothy will be my last one. And she’s only 3/4 Leghorn.

What is the point in doing that? I understand that her eggs are bigger than my finger. Go catch one of your 400-gram hens and you tell me how easy it is to check for an egg.
For me it's easy. I either take them off their perch at night or out of the tree they're roosting in.
I don't know the weight of the lightest hen here. I'll have a check.

Still no egg from Dorothy, but she seems content in her little nest. I’m heading out in a bit for a hike with a friend. I think I’ll keep Dorothy in while I’m gone. I hadn’t seen her drink any water, so I offered her a very soupy baby bird formula with Nutridrench drizzled in. She took some.She’s also trying to pull the towel over herself. I seriously hope she’s not feeling broody and is just getting ready to lay. The good news is she does not appear to be in distress or bothered by being held captive.
814121D7-62A3-42D1-8690-589A3A9AB8F9.jpeg

Last edited:
My girl Popcorn did this once and it was weird, she laid an egg with shell the same day and then she also popped out a shell-less egg. It's never happened since and she then carried on laying shelled ones. I don't really know what to suggest as she was fine and came round pretty quick. Maybe she's lacking some minerals or coming up to a moult?

Back
Top Bottom