Shell-Less Egg

micstrachan

Free Ranging
Premium member
Apr 10, 2016
Santa Cruz Mountains, California
It seemed like Dorothy hadn’t laid an egg in three days. I did find one egg, but no shell, wedged/oozed in between the coop and the mesh door. I thought it was possible that the girls could only reach the shell and that the egg itself slid down. However, today Dorothy was very, very off. So I brought her inside, gave her a calcium citrate and left her inside with some heat. Well, this is what happened.

Like the video says, I’ll put her on calcium for a few days. But what do you think about administering antibiotics? EYP has already killed two of my birds.

micstrachan

Free Ranging
Premium member
Apr 10, 2016
I think it would be a good idea to bring her to see a vet who sees chickens....here is a directory - http://www.poultrydvm.com/poultry-vets.php. They arent as expensive as you would think.
I have great local avian vets. However, I just brought another girl in and put her on a hormone implant and antibiotics which tapped me out for this month. I’m not convinced she passed all of the membrane, so I’ll probably start her on antibiotics.

Last edited:

casportpony

🦆🦚Enlightened🦚🦆
Project manager
Premium member
7 Years
Jun 24, 2012
She always has access to oyster shell. I haven’t been feeding layer since not everyone is laying.

Anyway, I’m very upset (on the verge of blowing a gasket) that I can’t find the enrofloxacin. :he:mad::hit
Did you try this place?

Kiki

I quit 43 days ago. WASH YOUR HANDS!
Project manager
Premium member
Jul 31, 2015
Houston, TX
My Coop
My Coop
I'm so sorry.
This won't help you but I have to say it....

This is the reason I will not feed an all flock feed.
I know it doesn't always happen to everyone and it may not be the feed but it could be and I don't like the could part.
I'd rather not give them the option to eat oyster shell on the side.

micstrachan

Free Ranging
Premium member
Apr 10, 2016
I'm so sorry.
This won't help you but I have to say it....

This is the reason I will not feed an all flock feed.
I know it doesn't always happen to everyone and it may not be the feed but it could be and I don't like the could part.
I'd rather not give them the option to eat oyster shell on the side.
Well, I don’t want to fry the organs of my non-layers. I don’t know what I’ll do at this point. They did well on 50/50 layer/grower. I just don’t know what to do. Other people do all flock with no problems. Some people feed all kinds of treats with no problems. I just don’t get it. I’m trying really hard to do the right thing for my birds. :confused:

Top Bottom