Shell-Less Egg

@azygous are you still on? I’m observing her and she is pretty spry. Possibly a little wobbly; I’m not sure yet. She weighs less than 3 pounds. Would you change the dose?
The amoxicillin dose that most vets would prescribe is 57 mg per pound twice a day for 10-14 days.

If you are reasonably certain the egg collapsed inside of her, yes, I would go ahead and do the amoxy. You can't go wrong following @casportpony 's recommended dosage.

Whether she's behaving normally at present is immaterial. You're not treating an active infection but getting ahead of it. In my view, when egg yolk is present in the reproductive tract, it can act as a bacteria growing medium, so I consider it a foregone conclusion that bacteria will start growing in the yolk medium immediately and given the almost certain probability that the collapsing egg produced irritation in the tract that can quickly produce inflammation, I feel an antibiotic is justified in order to stay ahead of a situation that has a high probability of developing into a reproductive tract infection.

Last edited:
Well, I don’t actually know if the egg collapsed inside, but her body language is a little off.
I got one like that too. She started off a few weeks ago laying softies, and I put off treating her. I fear now that she might have a full blown infection. :hit It's probably too late for mine, but I think I will get her started on some meloxicam, Baytril, and calcium.

Kiki, I was using only layer feed until I got a roo. It was suggested that, for his sake, I switch to all flock. I was hesitant, because I don’t like changing what isn’t broken, and I had a very healthy flock.
So, I have both available.
Question: do you have only laying hens? Do you use layer feed with other chickens too? I’ve been very curious about this topic. I’d like to know your thoughts.
I don't have a rooster. I do not mix ages either so I have it easy.

I got one like that too. She started off a few weeks ago laying softies, and I put off treating her. I fear now that she might have a full blown infection. :hit It's probably too late for mine, but I think I will get her started on some meloxicam, Baytril, and calcium.
You're scare mongering.

When you suspect even a slight possibility of infection from a possible collapsed egg, I feel it's a no brainer to do the antibiotic.

We are not talking about using antibiotics irresponsibly as a general preventative. It's no different than going to the ER with an injury and being given an antibiotic. Last year I had a diagnostic surgical procedure and was given an antibiotic as a preventative although I had no infection. This is no different.

Back
Top Bottom