Shell-Less Egg

Pics

micstrachan

Addict
8 Years
Apr 10, 2016
Santa Cruz Mountains, California
It seemed like Dorothy hadn’t laid an egg in three days. I did find one egg, but no shell, wedged/oozed in between the coop and the mesh door. I thought it was possible that the girls could only reach the shell and that the egg itself slid down. However, today Dorothy was very, very off. So I brought her inside, gave her a calcium citrate and left her inside with some heat. Well, this is what happened.

Like the video says, I’ll put her on calcium for a few days. But what do you think about administering antibiotics? EYP has already killed two of my birds.

I think it would be a good idea to bring her to see a vet who sees chickens....here is a directory - http://www.poultrydvm.com/poultry-vets.php. They arent as expensive as you would think.
I have great local avian vets. However, I just brought another girl in and put her on a hormone implant and antibiotics which tapped me out for this month. I’m not convinced she passed all of the membrane, so I’ll probably start her on antibiotics.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry.
This won't help you but I have to say it....

This is the reason I will not feed an all flock feed.
I know it doesn't always happen to everyone and it may not be the feed but it could be and I don't like the could part.
I'd rather not give them the option to eat oyster shell on the side.

I'm so sorry.
This won't help you but I have to say it....

This is the reason I will not feed an all flock feed.
I know it doesn't always happen to everyone and it may not be the feed but it could be and I don't like the could part.
I'd rather not give them the option to eat oyster shell on the side.
Well, I don’t want to fry the organs of my non-layers. I don’t know what I’ll do at this point. They did well on 50/50 layer/grower. I just don’t know what to do. Other people do all flock with no problems. Some people feed all kinds of treats with no problems. I just don’t get it. I’m trying really hard to do the right thing for my birds. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom