1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Shell less egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by fifi, Sep 19, 2009.

1. fifi

fifi New Egg

Sep 19, 2009
    One of my 18 month old chickens "laid" what looked like a huge white worm today. It was in the nest box so I assume it was an attempt at an egg but it was about half an inch diameter and 5 inches long, white and fairly soft. Has anyone seen anything similar or know what happened?

2. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    I have seen these before as well. I understand that hens sometimes slough of excess eggmaking material with within. If it persists then you may need to seek help in the disease section. In my experience these strange leavings are very very infrequent.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    soft elongated version of a fart egg. Usually just has egg white in it and if it hasn't laid there too long, it could be edible.

4. Harrietsmum

Harrietsmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Hamilton, New Zealand
    Take a look at the 'Christmas Alien' egg on the Blue egg green egg site above. It is listed in the index on the left of the page.

5. gottalovemychickens

gottalovemychickens SaveAChickenRideACowboy

Quote:ewww that being edible ??? Sorry i wont not eat that . Thats past my line hehe

6. savingdogs

savingdogs Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:ewww that being edible ??? Sorry i wont not eat that . Thats past my line hehe

My goodness, that looked more like a developing chick than an egg....gross!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by