Shell-less egg!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chooks, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Chooks

Chooks New Egg

Feb 26, 2008
    Kerikeri, New Zealand
    We have recently taken 5 older chickens and one of them lays eggs with membrane but no shell. All the others lay normal eggs! We feed them proper Chook food and grit/oyster shell. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Is there a cure. Unfortunately, we don't know which one of the 5 is doing it!

Susie and Martin
    New Zealand

2. Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Rafter 7 Paint Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    East Texas
    This is information I found about your egg. The site I found this on is: http://www.poultryhelp.com/oddeggs.html

NO SHELL:
    Every once in a while we get an egg with a membrane, but without a shell. It feels like a water balloon. This is another accident of the hen's reproductive system and is not necessarily an indication of any problem. The membrane was placed on the yolk and white, but it somehow slipped past the "shell mechanism" and the shell wasn't deposited.

I get one every once in awhile, too. It is usually from a young hen who is just getting her system used to laying. Maybe yours is just starting again after taking a break from laying.

I just had an egg customer tell me they got an egg inside of an egg. Silly hens!!

Jean

3. Chooks

Chooks New Egg

Feb 26, 2008
    Kerikeri, New Zealand
    Many thanks for getting back Jean, appreciate it. Susie

4. Churkenduse

Churkenduse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    I just got one a few days ago too, weird! I scrambled it a mixed it with their food. They loved it.

Don't go yuck lots of us do it.

5. DossFunnyFarm

DossFunnyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2008
    I have one hen thats been doing the no shell thing for a month now. (I know what one it is too) Been Trying all kinds of things, but so far nothing has worked. If I run into anything that works I'll post it.
    [​IMG]

6. Chooks

Chooks New Egg

Feb 26, 2008
    Kerikeri, New Zealand
    Thanks all! I have heard that apple cider vinegar in their drinking water will help built calcium, haven't tried that yet, will keep you informed too

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by