Shell-less eggs

CheeseandCackles

Chirping
Jul 16, 2019
Massachusetts
So I’ve been getting a lot of shell-less or soft shell eggs lately from my hens. They just started to lay starting maybe about a month ago.

I know new layers have more issues because their bodies are getting the hang of things, but how long does it usually take for them to normalize?

They are on both layer pellets and I have a dish of oyster shells.

And I’m not 100% sure my Orpington is laying yet, but I’m more concerned about my two ISA Browns. They’ve been popping out almost an egg a day and I’m afraid they’re bodies are burning out quickly.

Is this pretty normal?

How many layers do you have? And what do you mean by 'a lot' of shell-less eggs? Such as what percentage of total eggs....
It sounds like you are doing things right, and probably you are right about it just being new layers normalizing their systems at first.

hmmm that is strange if they've been laying for a month, you might try the higher protein flock raiser/all flock what ever your brand is available calling it as you have oyster shell on the side already.

hmmm that is strange if they've been laying for a month, you might try the higher protein flock raiser/all flock what ever your brand is available calling it as you have oyster shell on the side already.
I did have that originally, and they were going through a 5lb bag of oyster shells in like not even a week. And I was still getting those eggs so then I swapped to shells and pellets on Friday last week with no change in egg situation.

I did have that originally, and they were going through a 5lb bag of oyster shells in like not even a week. And I was still getting those eggs so then I swapped to shells and pellets on Friday last week with no change in egg situation.

There has to be a deficiency some where and that's all I can think of maybe one of these ladies can help ya figure it out
@oldhenlikesdogs
@Wyorp Rock

Also as added information a lot of the hard shelled eggs I do get are double yolk.

And they’ve been getting treated with Corid for a completely separate thing but I didn’t think that affected egg production.

So I’ve been getting a lot of shell-less or soft shell eggs lately from my hens. They just started to lay starting maybe about a month ago.

I know new layers have more issues because their bodies are getting the hang of things, but how long does it usually take for them to normalize?

They are on both layer pellets and I have a dish of oyster shells.

And I’m not 100% sure my Orpington is laying yet, but I’m more concerned about my two ISA Browns. They’ve been popping out almost an egg a day and I’m afraid they’re bodies are burning out quickly.

Is this pretty normal?
If I was you, I would throw the oyster shells on the ground and they will most likely eat them before they turn in for the night. Mine do not eat them out of a bowl and I only eat them if I throw them on the ground. You don’t want your chickens to be laying shell-less eggs it could cause a lot of internal problems, so hopefully you can correct that as soon as possible, good luck!

Shell less eggs are either from stress or a system glitch. The glitch should work out. It has nothing to do with calcium intake. Hens will pull calcium out of their bones if necessary. A shell less egg is pushed out before the shell is applied. I'm sure some just push them out early because it feels like they should push.

The beginnings of laying can be stressful, and probably somewhat painful as they start to lay, and stuff cramps and stretches out.

Stress can also be from external sources like loud noises or predators sniffing about.

How did you serve your oyster shells? More than likely they were scratched away instead of all consumed.

Give them time. Not all get it right immediately. Some can take months even. Most take a few weeks.

How many birds total?
All the same age...in weeks?
How big is your coop and run?
Dimensions and pics would be most helpful.
Are you feeding any treats or foods other than the chicken feed?

Back
Top Bottom