Shelled egg in butchered hen......can you eat it?

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
Butchered a couple old hens today and one was still laying a couple times a week.
I know, I know, but she had to go.....the subtraction part of chicken math hits a neophyte not quite synced with her population balance schedule yet.
They'll make a lovely stew.....anyway.

First time butchering females and was rather fascinated to see the egg making anatomy......
......there was a fully shelled egg and several yolks of varying sizes coming down the pike.

I washed and refrigerated the shelled egg....but thought I'd ask if there might be any reason not to eat it?

caf.gif

I'm pretty sure I've read about some chef, maybe Julia Child? eating eggs from a butchered hen. It stuck in my brain cause they might have been eating them raw, mention was made that it was still warm from the hen's body heat. I'd think it's fine to eat, just crack it in a separate bowl.

How did your culling go?

Come to think of it, there was an episode of Chopped where one of the basket ingredients was un-laid chicken egg yolks.

Correction - it was specified as un-laid chicken eggs, and they were used in the dessert round.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure I've read about some chef, maybe Julia Child? eating eggs from a butchered hen. It stuck in my brain cause they might have been eating them raw, mention was made that it was still warm from the hen's body heat. I'd think it's fine to eat, just crack it in a separate bowl.

How did your culling go?
Thanks.
It went well overall, dealing with the copious amounts of fat in a hen slowed me up a bit...and I still need to streamline my setup a tad to minimize cleanup.
It's the clean up that exhausts me, I'm working alone with no running water right at hand(so lots of rinse bucket to wash up after).
Am working up to how many I can do in one go. Tomorrow I have 3 - 7mo cockerels lined up.....then another 3 old hens, 3 cockerels(young enough to grill).......and another batch of chicks that haven't shown gender yet but at least 2 cockerels there for sure.

I'm a pretty squeamish person so I wouldn't eat that egg, it's only ONE egg. Surely you have others.
It not about the loss of one egg......after butchering a few birds, squeamish kinda goes out the window....I will make a beautiful breakfast sandwich in honor of her second to last contribution, the last one being the lovely stew she will participate in.

It would be completely safe to eat.
Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom