Shelless egg.

mowin

Crowing
5 Years
Jun 17, 2018
Upstate NY
So, I've got 8 pullets. Been getting 7 eggs a day, so I'm thinking I've got one not laying. I know, some Will skip a day, but I should at some point get 8 a day here and there.

Anyway, found a shelless egg the evening when closing up the ladies. I collected 7 eggs around 5 pm, and found this one around 9pm.

Feeding all flock, 20% protein. OS on the side, but every other day putting some OS in there feed.

Haven't had any issues with shells at all. If anything, there harder to crack then store eggs.

So could this be a first egg?
IMG_20190823_212022538.jpg

Yes, I've been getting eggs for the last 4 weeks. This week has been very productive. 7 every other day.
But only one pullet has been "squatting" when I enter the coop.

I really think it's her first.

I'm glad you asked this question! I was just logging on to ask the same question. I have 8 hens and 7 are laying. I've been waiting for the 8th hen to lay. For the last week, the 8th hen started laying, but she's laid 5 completely shell-less eggs. I'm talking about perfectly beautiful egg yolks, the "white" part of the egg is liquid and appears to be quite a bit of fluid, just no shell and nothing appears to be holding it together at all....

I can't find any shell at all. All 8 hens are eating organic laying feed, oyster shells, organic produce from the garden, etc. I don't think that it's the calcium deficiency, stress, diet, heat, etc. The other 7 hens' eggs are fine. The 8th hen is an Aracauna. It wasn't such an issue until tonight when all the hens discovered that they like eating this goopy mess and it was touching another egg (she laid her egg on top of another egg before I could grab it out of the nesting box)....that introduced them to pecking the eggs. YIKES!!!!! I've been trying to give this last hen a chance, but now there's an issue in the coop. Ideas? Thanks!!!!

I thought I had a egg eating pullet.
Found a couple egg shells without anything in them.

I purchased 6 fake eggs and got 10 golf balls from a friend and scattered them thought the 3 rent deposit boxes. No more shells broken and empty.

I'd flood you're nest boxes with a bunch of golf balls. Hopefully she will try to peck a golf ball, and think there's nothing to gain from this.

Could be...only time will tell.
Tho even with 8 new layers, 8 eggs on same day may be rare to non-existent.
What breed(s) are they?

2 RIR are laying. EE is laying. 2 BO are laying. And one BR is laying.
There is a BO and a BR that are squatting when I enter the run. It's one of those two that most likely left that egg.

Eggs will break in the coop and chickens will eat them. Rubber eggs will happen. Just do your best to clear them before they get to them and you’ll be in good shape. Give her time. Continue with the layer feed and oyster shell and she will come around. If you are very concerned you could put the bird in question in an isolation pen to monitor as well as keep the eggs from the others. But i would only do that if i had to. She’s young. It will resolve.

Eggs will break in the coop and chickens will eat them. Rubber eggs will happen. Just do your best to clear them before they get to them and you’ll be in good shape. Give her time. Continue with the layer feed and oyster shell and she will come around. If you are very concerned you could put the bird in question in an isolation pen to monitor as well as keep the eggs from the others. But i would only do that if i had to. She’s young. It will resolve.

Not really concerned, just curious if others agree that this could be a first egg?

Got 6 eggs today, all normal.
The egg in question was the 8th egg of that day, so obviously all 8 gals payed rent, well kind of, lol.

Back
Top Bottom