1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

shells from store bought eggs

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by CarolinaKen, Feb 13, 2011.

1. CarolinaKen

CarolinaKen Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2011
    If you are a newby and don't have any egg laying hens and you have chicks that you are raising to be egg layers, can you start to save the egg shells from the eggs you buy in the store so that you have a good supply of egg shells when the time comes for them to need more calcium in their diets? Wasn't sure if a) you needed that much in reserve, and b) if there was any reason to shy away from feeding them store bought egg shells.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!!

2. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    It should be fine. I didn't stock pile my egg shells before my girls started laying, but I did throw in the store-bought shells with their shells once they did start laying. I don't know that you need that much in reserve, but it won't hurt if you want to do it.

3. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    An easier to provide calcium source is crushed oyster shell. Its cheap and I keep it available for them to free feed at all times. Chicken egg shells are more work than I care to do.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:This is what I do, costs me less than $10 a year, but nothing wrong with egg shells if that's what you want to do.

5. matimeo

matimeo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Oregon
    Sounds like a great idea. Wish I had thought of it.

6. MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2011
    Colorado Plains
    Cheese, yogurt, cottage cheese and sour cream are also good sources of calcium.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by