sheltering two new chickies...what the heck ARE they?

imzadi

Chirping
7 Years
Sep 19, 2012
Hi there...

Daughter has asked us to border her two "babies" for a moth or so till she figures out what to do with them. She thought they were silkies...I'm not so sure. they are about 2.5 to 3 months old. I'm not a chicken expert...actually, I've VERY VERY new to this.

the dark one has a single comb...and no real poof on the head...but, kind of a mohock. He has feathers on the feet. His feathers seem more like feathers and less like the "fur" that a silkie appears to have. She thought he was a cockrel...I'm not so sure. his tail feathers are short and don't seem to "flow" like a rooster's do and the neck feathers aren't as long?

The light one has the poof on the head...but, the feathers are, again, feathers and not so much fur. She has feathers on her feet...but not really very much. I do think she is a pullet.

Here are some pix...but, not sure you can really see what you need to...hard to get a good pix of a CHICKEN!

They're not silkies, you're right. They're probably part silkie......we have some good silkie/tophatted folks here that should be along and figure them out for you.

silkie mixes...I love the black one - he looks like a woodpecker! If you cross a silkie with any other "normal" feathered bird...you will get normal feathers - it looks like thats what happened.

Back
Top Bottom