Shelters for waterfowl/cut plastic barrels in half

Cottage Rose

Crowing
12 Years
Jun 24, 2008
Mid west Michigan
I recently saw where you can cut 55 gal. plastic barrels
in half and set on the ground for shelter for ducks.
Anybody here done this or any tips on other
quick n' easy shelters?
Do you think they would be adequate for winter shelters
in cold areas if you partially covered the opening and put some straw on the ground?
I'm maining thinking about using them for my breeding pens in the summer for shade and a place for the girls to lay their eggs but I have some extra ducks I will be needing to keep outside this winter because my 2 waterfowl buildings are to capacity.

Last edited:
I wouldn't even cut it. That gives a good length from front to back for shelter. When it is cold they can snuggle in the back of it, warm and nestled in hay. Just make sure it is secure so it doesn't roll. That's of course using it length wise not in half, which is a good idea. Just not sure about how warm it is. Guess it would keep body heat better since it is small. Maybe you could insulate it some how???? IDK

I should add the ones I saw were cut the long way.
Its makes sense to keep them whole for winter usage.
For summer and nesting the girls do prefer the earth to dig their nesting bowls in.
I could prop some large rocks, which we have in abundance, along the sides of the barrel.
I'm wondering about partially covering the opening.
Any ideas folks.

Quote:
Thanks rain!
smile.png

Quote:
If you are talking about muscovies, they are actually a tree duck. I make a nesting box 12" X 12" X 18" with a 8" round hole for them out of plywood. There is a muscovy hen in the box underneath the drake.

37123_duck_house_inside_.jpg

Yup I know they are tree ducks but my Muscovies have access to some rather large wood nest boxes I have attached to the wall in one of my coops ( bottom of the nest box about 2 ft. or less above the floor) and in 5 years only one duck has used it and all others prefer to dig holes in the dirt.

I give them quite a selection to choose from. I noticed that they didn't like a box that was on the small side.

It's also very easy to move the nest, duck and all, into a brooding pen for security purposes.

I can't seem to find what I was looking for, but here's a simple goose nest from Holderread's farm:

Fa_CD2_N9.jpg

I remember the barrel nest boxes that Barbarie is talking about from muscovy, they were pretty cool. Thing is muscovy has all kinds of weird lettering in his name so I can't search it.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom