SHE'S BACK!!

Kelly Owl

Chirping
Jul 1, 2020
Massey Ontario Canada
ohhh Im sooo pleased all my friends here on BYC told me to watch the calender when 1 of my hens went missing. 😁😁😁 Today she came back with 13!!! little chicks..hahaha well the more the merrier i guess Im so happy right now. Umm what should I feed the little ones...how can I intergrate them into the flock? lol what now??
20200722_135509.jpg

Congratulations! They're so adorable.
If you think the mom will do a good job of protecting the babies from the other chickens, then you can just leave them all together. If not, then you can separate them. Just remember that if you separate them, the introduction into the flock will be harder.
For food, you have to give them chick starter. The mom can eat this too since she won't be laying any eggs for a while. If you leave the momma hen and the babies in with the flock, then you will have to feed everyone chick starter until the babies start to lay eggs. Just make sure you have some calcium chips available for your laying hens.

Yes, feed an all-flock feed or chick starter to everyone, with oyster shell on the side for the laying hens.
If there's plenty of space, and these chicks are doing well with a fierce mama hen, they can be all together with the flock. Sometimes the chicks need a week or two to mature enough to stay with mama, and then having them in a fenced off area in the coop works well. Don't use chicken wire, as small chicks can get through it!
Mary

Congratulations! They're so adorable.
If you think the mom will do a good job of protecting the babies from the other chickens, then you can just leave them all together. If not, then you can separate them. Just remember that if you separate them, the introduction into the flock will be harder.
For food, you have to give them chick starter. The mom can eat this too since she won't be laying any eggs for a while. If you leave the momma hen and the babies in with the flock, then you will have to feed everyone chick starter until the babies start to lay eggs. Just make sure you have some calcium chips available for your laying hens.
Thank you HappyClucker7
I have them seperated right now but everyone can see smell and hear everyone else because where they are is close to all the others and its an open coop. Im gonna have to rethink this for the evenings..predators can get into it..I will be sure to pick up some chick starter and I am happy to let mama do the rest.
Thank you for the advise

What a lovely surprise!

Until you will be able to purchase chick starter feed you might just serve them scrambled eggs with some oatmeal and millet.
LaFleche..thank you thank you thank you..I just picked up chicken feed today not knowing I was in for a surprise. I live a good distance from the nearest feed store and really cant travel back for a few weeks..I do however have loads of eggs as the girls are great layers..so scrambled eggs for everyone!!!

LaFleche..thank you thank you thank you..I just picked up chicken feed today not knowing I was in for a surprise. I live a good distance from the nearest feed store and really cant travel back for a few weeks..I do however have loads of eggs as the girls are great layers..so scrambled eggs for everyone!!!
They will love it! :thumbsup

Yes, feed an all-flock feed or chick starter to everyone, with oyster shell on the side for the laying hens.
If there's plenty of space, and these chicks are doing well with a fierce mama hen, they can be all together with the flock. Sometimes the chicks need a week or two to mature enough to stay with mama, and then having them in a fenced off area in the coop works well. Don't use chicken wire, as small chicks can get through it!
Mary
Thank you Follys place..right now they are seperated with mama..I have to rethink this option though as predators can get to them at night when Im not hovering over them. Hubby had chickens growing up so I will see what ideas he can give me. Im a city girl and this is the first Ive ever had chickens...but I will proudly say its not gonna be my last!!

ohhh Im sooo pleased all my friends here on BYC told me to watch the calender when 1 of my hens went missing. 😁😁😁 Today she came back with 13!!! little chicks..hahaha well the more the merrier i guess Im so happy right now. Umm what should I feed the little ones...how can I intergrate them into the flock? lol what now??View attachment 2257046

Awww! What a happy chicken story!! Congratulations to Mama Hen on her big, beautiful brood... and best wishes to you with all the new Chicken Math you have to catch up on!

Back
Top Bottom