She's going to die..

There is a cocci and mericks vaccine.

If you get the cocci one, do not feed medicated feed because it will nullify the vaccine.

Mericks vaccine will make birds carriers for life and is not reccomended for small flocks, all future birds should be vaccinated.

Quote:
Not paralysised but they try to walk and fall forward or on their side and then can't get up, others with just lay their. I just went down there and saw another one, a Dark Cornish chick on its side, I thought it was gone for sure but then I saw it move and it was really cold I dipped its beak in the water and it drank it a little and then I put it under the heat lamp hoping it will make it. It's so depressing just watching the life just float out of them. Sometimes I wonder what it feel like to them, if they're in pain, or if they're just drifting away...

-Sophia

I've tried sugar water, they were vaccinated for cocci and merecks. My cousin is wringing their necks tomorrow when I get home. I just couldnt do it...
sad.png
. Thank you all.

Quote:
Mine where too, maybe it's a reaction to the vaccinations? I hope MMH didn't screw up and charge us and then never gave it to the chicks..

-sophia

Quote:
If you get chicks that are vaccinated, then put them in a flock that isn't that will give the old flock the disease? Now I kinda wish I didn't get them vaccinated because my adult birds outside..well i'm pretty sure they aren't vaccinated, is there anything you can do? I know you can't give them the vaccine after 1 day of age, right?

I'm so sorry. I know this is hard. Please don't quit trying and try to keep some hope alive. You are doing your best so far and everybody here is as concerned for you as they are for your chicks. Consider yourself hugged and encouraged. You may not lose them all. God doesn't make mistakes. I'm praying for you and Jeffrey whose favorite turken had its crop ripped open in two places during an attack by an unknown animal. That boy was about to sew up his birds crop all by himself because his family doesn't care. They wouldn't even let him bring the hen in the house and it's very cold in the barn. Thank God his Marine uncle had a sutrure kit and at this very moment they are trying to save that hen. Point being, you aren't alone and it's not over until it's over. Hang in there and focus on the love instead of the loss. You'll have fewer regrets in your grief if you keep hope alive. I'm praying for you and the chicks. God bless you.

sad.png
Suddenly tonight it seems there are so many little chickens in trouble.....

I'm sorry storm - really! Perhaps by tomorrow they'll be a little better
hugs.gif

Since Mericks is a live vaccine, I am not sure how well you can spread it to the adults from the chicks. I am not familar enough with the disease and the vaccination to say that you can or can't get chicks in the future that are not vaccinated. As far as I understand, once you get it, you always have to get chicks that are vaccinated, which is why they are not recommended for small flock owners. I also think that is is possible to get the disease from the vaccine since it is a live virus, and shipping stress just adds to their problem.

Getting chilled is often what spells end for chicks, but they can recover.

Make sure the shavings they are on, is a pure pine, not from treated woods, not cedar, and so on. Check feed for mold or if it is spoiled, and make sure they are eating, drinking, and staying warm enough. Beyond that, there is not much more you can do.

If the chick is really far down the line and does not look well, often letting them go is the best thing to do for them as it's my belief it's not fair to keep an animal around for your self, if it is obvoius the animal is suffering. However, if there is something that can be done, do it, as culling is a last resort.

As for cocci, there are types that do not have bloody poo, but do come with lethargic birds. If you suspect that, treating with sulmet or another coccodistant may be a last ditch thing to try.

Back
Top Bottom