She's going to die..

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Stormhorse23, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Stormhorse23

Stormhorse23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    Remember when I asked for naming advice for my chick, Kieran? Well, she is dying. Started with a little weakness now she cant walk. Four of the chicks are like this. A few others have died. We are thinking of a painless way to end this for them. I am glad I named her, though. She won't just be remembered as "that black chick." She'll be special. [​IMG]

2. perfectly_polish

perfectly_polish Overrun With Chickens

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    Quote:I am so sorry [​IMG] :aww The same thing is happening to my chicks and I've lost over 20 so I know how you feel. Again I am so sorry :aww [​IMG]

-Sophia

3. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I'm sorry [​IMG]

4. countryboy

countryboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2007
    i'm sorry storm

5. smith2

smith2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2008
    Paris, TN
    This may not help much, but several years ago my mom had this happen to her chicks. Her vet told her that she was using older food and that after 2-3 months the food looses some of its nutrients and one of the nutrients breaks down very quickly. I can't remember which one he said (thiamine or niacin?), but he told her to make sure she got the freshest food that she could. That year she ordered chicks really early and had purchased chick starter that was left at the feed store from the year before and the chicks got really weak and a bunch died and the ones that lived had feet problems. He also recommended putting a vitamin supplement into the water or food for the first 3-4 weeks if you are unsure about how long the food has been sitting on the shelf.[​IMG]

6. jmike

jmike Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2008
    Lindale, TX
    Quote:I am so sorry [​IMG] :aww The same thing is happening to my chicks and I've lost over 20 so I know how you feel. Again I am so sorry :aww [​IMG]

-Sophia

What are some reasons for this to happen?

7. Dinos_rock

Dinos_rock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Arizona
    [​IMG] I'm sorry. I had a chick that died a few weeks ago, too. It is really sad. What kind of chicken was she? [​IMG]

8. perfectly_polish

perfectly_polish Overrun With Chickens

Mar 1, 2007
    CT

-Sophia

What are some reasons for this to happen?

I have no idea, they seem fine and then they barley can walk and then they die. It's so sad to watch and I just don't understand why it's happening either.

9. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    oh im so sorry about the chicks "you cant save them all"

10. jmike

jmike Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2008
    Lindale, TX
    you have to watch it happen and there is nothing you can do.
    Makes you feel helpless.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by