She's holding her foot up and not bearing weight.

Sep 10, 2021
Ohio
My 9 month old hen isn't bearing weight on her foot. She's being picked on by all the older hens. I had to rescue her today because my rooster was beating her up. I can't find any physical damage on her foot or leg. There's no bumblefoot or anything. I'm at a loss for what to do for her. Please help.

Do you have room in the coop to keep her inside a dog crate with food and water, to limit her activity while protecting her from bullying? Holding the leg up sounds more like an injury, but does she have any other symptoms? Green bruising and swelling sometimes may be seen. Was she vaccinated for Mareks? You might need to separate your rooster, to give her a break if you can’t separate her. Usually, when others begin picking one a flock member, I sometimes wonder if they since something is wrong.

Do you have room in the coop to keep her inside a dog crate with food and water, to limit her activity while protecting her from bullying? Holding the leg up sounds more like an injury, but does she have any other symptoms? Green bruising and swelling sometimes may be seen. Was she vaccinated for Mareks? You might need to separate your rooster, to give her a break if you can’t separate her. Usually, when others begin picking one a flock member, I sometimes wonder if they since something is wrong.
She's in a crate separated from the others. She was vaccinated for Mareks at hatch. She's eating, drinking, and pooing completely normal. I am at a lose. She has been separated for 3 days now and no improvement. I've soaked her in epsom salts a number of times just to see if that helps.
I had an EE last year that was at the bottom of the pecking order and my rooster kept attacking her at the end until I had to get rid of her or he was going to kill her. It was very similar of circumstances. The bullies kept pecking her and then he joined in after some time and he chased and attacked her, as well. I finally pulled her when he chased her under the coop and he wouldn't let her back out. I stepped in a number of times, but he was relentless. She didn't have a bum leg like this one, so she was more successful at protecting herself.

Can you separate the rooster? Would the others pick on her if he was gone? It could take a few weeks for her limping to go away if she has a sprain or injury. Do you see any green bruising or swelling over the entire leg or foot?

Back
Top Bottom