She's in labor!

momofchicks

Songster
11 Years
Apr 23, 2008
Kentucky
My Dominique "Lovable" has been squatting for 3 weeks, and talking to me for about 2 weeks (she's 19 weeks and 2 days), anyway, she has been in the nest box at least twice in the past 2 hours. She's in there breathing heavy, getting up and down and the other chickens are at the doorway watching her every move. It's just like a woman in labor.
pop.gif
She's uncomfortable and the other chickens are waiting to see when it's going to happen. This will be her first egg and mine too for that matter. It will be today won't it?
fl.gif
fl.gif

Most likely, I'd say! Although I've got a couple that seem to hang in the nest box, go in & out, and then not lay until the next day. I find that if you leave them alone & don't check on them a lot, they seem to have an easier time of it. Yours may be different, but with mine, any time I go to the coop they are expecting a treat, and the layers get distracted. When I hear the buk-buk-BUKKKAWWWW!!! I go check; they typically do that right after they lay, or right before (with mine). CONGRATS, and don't forget to post a pic of your first egg picture in the stickied thread!!
smile.png

depends on the chicken
my frizzle that didnt frizzle has givin me an egg every day from the time she started and others took more time to be so reliable

if she is a barred rock she could be a good layer from the get go

Back
Top Bottom