She's just not right!

mandelyn

Crowing
14 Years
Aug 30, 2009
Mt Repose, OH
My Coop
My Coop
So, in my new mixed flock, the Splash Maran pullet has some... issues. I can't place what they are. What kind of vet should I look for? Avian? I don't know if a farm vet would be able to help her or find the issue. I think I need a bird vet.

She seems slow. Not stupid... just slow. Her vision seems weird, misses stuff by a half inch. Eyes look bright and normal though. Has a gimp in her walk... she can get around fine enough, eats and drinks, but has the most luck eating from a bowl where she can't miss. Foraging is hard for her. It's like she takes 3 steps and sways to the right. She can stand, but roosting I think will be an issue.

She has been handled and babied, I can see that in how she greets me and wants to hide "in my feathers". She's fully feathered, not a tiny baby. But a baby none the less.

She's the instant favorite though, so I want to find out her issues. I think I'll call around to avian vets on lunch break today. And I'll check back here and see if you guys can think of anything that it could be.

Yeah, if you're going to take her to the vet you'd want an avian vet. Has she always been like this, or is it new? I really don't know what her issue might be, hopefully someone here will have a better idea. All I can think of is some neurological problem, maybe from a head injury? Or an ear problem, sometimes that can affect their balance and such. Keep us posted and let us know what the vet says.

It reminds me of a jersey giant pullet I have, and have owned since chickhood. She came in a group of 12 from the feed store from a hatchery. I believe they said she was vaccinated, I imagine they meant for merks. All was great until they were about 3 weeks old, and I was sorting and separating them in a big brooder. They were running everywhere, climbing on one another, and screaching and screaming like subway rats. I saw this one lil chick upside down under all the others screaming like she was being stabbed. I picked her up, put her down, and upside down she went again, legs all catywampus, like she was having a seizure. Was it stung by a wasp? Did it get poked on some loose wire? Can chickens really have seizures? Well I was gonna cull, but gave it a second chance and put it in a box with paper towels and wrapped to bricks in some old rags and propped her up, put food and water in front of her, and vwalla!!!, next day a better chirpy lil chick. Since then, every time her "flock"( her and 3 other hens and a roo) in their chicken tractor get startled by what they percieve as danger, her reaction is to have a " seizure", or at least lay on her side and scream while all the others run back and forth over her. She eats, drinks, poops, roosts( the roost is very low), but when I watch her, sometimes she stumbles, sometimes she weaves, she just acts a little " special needs". My hypothesis, which is founded on NOTHING but opinion, is she had either a mild case of merks, or a reaction to the vaccine, and instead of dying, she was given to me, because i love her and her little retarded ways! Oh and one of her wattles is normal and the other is microscopic, adding a visual!

Back
Top Bottom