She's losing the battle I'm afraid... Fowl cholera?

Thank you. I just feel badly that she suffered perhaps more than she should have. But every day was a roller coaster ride, she'd be looking much better-- then worse, then better so we'd have hope, then worse again. Back and forth like that for weeks.

At this point, I'm glad none of my other hens seem affected.

Thanks for the kind words everybody.

I'm so sorry for your loss
sad.png
it's amazing how much we care for the animals in our care.

Thanks again everyone.

One amazing thing about this little bird is that even though she came to us completely abused, underweight from only being fed free bread from a local food pantry, covered in feces, etc. The very night we brought her home she knew we were helping her. As she got her first ever bath in the sink, she seemed to enjoy the feeling and even closed her eyes as if to say that the warm water felt so good as we gently removed all the filth. She did not try to resist or become scared, even though she was wild and no one had ever handled her gently.

Fast forward through a few happy winter months we could give her, and when she became ill and stayed inside, she would sit on or in her cage, and go inside of it if she was feeling cold. She would not wander around, even if we left the room. What's more interesting is that when I attempted to help her, she really tried to accept it. If I offered her some food she would wanly peck at it, just to please me even if she didn't eat. I'm convinced she knew we were trying to save her, and she was an amazing little patient. I learned a lot about how kindness and caring can truly be understood by these supposedly stupid little creatures.

I am now in a weird way missing my everyday routine which had my little Daisy sitting right next to my computer desk. I especially miss her cute little "beeping" sounds and penguin-like wattle.

In the end I think she either died from ingesting some plastic left from former tenants, died from some underlying disease that she carried from the "farm" she came from, or, since she had only recently started laying had some reproductive issue that had no outward signs.

Here's a video of her having a good time just days before she fell ill. I'm so glad I took the time to film her once.

I am so sorry you lost your chicken. Sweeters is an adorable name. I have just suffered the loss of one of my Rhode Island Reds. She had the very same symptoms as your chicken. This was her third bout with the same type sickness. Corid seemed to clear her up the first two times. Corid for the coccidiosis and amoxicilin in case it was something else. This time nothing we did worked for her. We also brought her inside and spoiled her with as much good things as we could. She tried desperately to eat, sporadically. She still tried to eat a few times at noon time one day and was dead by morning. I tried so hard to help her. They are my feathered children. I have 12 more chickens and I am scared to think others may get it and we haven't figured it out. So far everyone else seems fine. I am deworming the rest of my chickens today in case that was also a part of her weakness and inability to survive.
Maybe we can keep in touch as chicken loving friends. If one or the other of us learns anything new it could help our feathered children. Hope so, Thank you and good luck... :)

[email protected]

Back
Top Bottom