She's my baby! I don't wanna kill her, but I wanna do what's right...

Like the others said, as long as she can eat and drink-she's fine.
You should probably give her a shallower dish to eat from, but other than that-she's good to go.
Cross beak is VERY common and not a reason to cull.

Quote:
Respectfully disagree...The dishes she eats from need to be deep....Shallow would do no good, because she can't peck the food, she will have to sort of scoop it up.....

Hi Kailey!
I vote give her a chance! I have a crossbeak silkie and she is doing great! I feed her moisted chick food with chick grit and vitamins added to it.
I also grind her beak back to make it easier to eat. I use a pedipaws and it does work for us so far. I would think it would work for ebony easily too with her being a bantam.
I started by grinding a little back every few days until it got to a better alignment and she could eat easier. I now try to do weekly trimmings for her.
My girl didn't tolerate the trimming with a clippers. I think it applied too much pressure for her and that is why I decided to try the pedipaws for the dog toenails....keep us updated on how she is doing.

Kailey, you're going to find folks with a wide range of purposes for keeping chickens, from pure profit-making livestock to pampered diaper-wearing pets, and all ranges in-between. Everyone has their limit as to the extra attention they can or will devote to tending a particular chicken. Plus, everyone has their own opinions as to how kind it might be to allow an animal with physical limitations to live.

Cross-beaked chickens do have issues. They have difficulty getting enough to eat, and may grow up stunted or malnourished. They also have difficulty keeping themselves properly groomed, unable to keep their feathers properly oiled, more prone to mites & lice. They can have difficulty keeping their beaks clean, especially the overgrown parts, especially when they eat soft foods. They may also be unable to defend themselves from other chickens, and be kept at the bottom of the pecking order.

This is why some people recommend culling, out of kindness to the chick. However, if you're willing to take the time to help your chick meet her particular challenges (she may not have all those problems) then it's possible to keep her going and help her have a worthwhile existence. I do recommend that you learn as much as possible about what you'll need to do for her, learn how to trim her beak by yourself, and let your dad know how you plan to care for her. It seems that you already have a lot of other animals depending on you, make sure you're not neglecting them in order to care for this one chick. Maybe that is his concern.

I know it's tough to have to cull a chick. We once had a cross-beaked bantam chick that I planned to cull if ever it seemed he was suffering. But he was such a plucky little thing that I let him keep going. He didn't grow as big or as well as his nest-mates, he had to be bathed, dusted, & trimmed often, and seemed always hungry. He only lived for 2 years. He was a big favorite of my kids', and I'm glad we kept him. But I'm not sure I would keep another one.

Hi, I am new to chickens and have a cross beak I posted about recently. I got 25 EE pullets, but it looks like 2 to 3 are cockerals and my cross beak (we call BuckBeak) is one of the cockerals. I have mixed feelings about the fact that we didn't cull only because I am not planning on keeping the EE roos, but we'll see, I'm new and may change my mind. Interestingly, this BuckBeak is LARGER than all of my other chicks, I think that is because he spends so much time eating. I don't know if it is because he knows he needs to eat all the time, but he is the first one in line when I bring feeder back in from being refilled (even though not completely empty) and also one of the first to try treats (even scary new ones). So, hang in there, we are giving him a try, it still makes my heart sting a little to see his little crooked beak, but he seems happy, maybe he will be "the roo" that we keep. I attached a picture, he is now a little more cross beaked as he is about 3 weeks older, but still cute.
84545_beakcloseup.jpg

Good luck and please PM me if there is anything I can do to help. I feel bad for my little one, so I know how you feel. Hang in there! (edited to add note)

Last edited:
Quote:
Respectfully disagree...The dishes she eats from need to be deep....Shallow would do no good, because she can't peck the food, she will have to sort of scoop it up.....

Sorry, I stand corrected-chicmom is correct.
I've never had a cross beak bird and remember incorrectly what my friend with a cross beak EE told me.

Last edited:
As far as keeping a bantam in your room it is not as bad as you would think. My son, about your age, keeps a sebright hen in his room. She is about 4 years old now, we have had her for 3. She is special needs in a different way, she has severe vent gleet that will NOT go away. vet is stumped but as long as she is indoors she thrives. Outside she drops weight fast. She is giving me the stink eye now like she knows I am typing about her. She is anti social to chickens and bunnies but loves humans. She wonders the house and begs worse than any puppy I have ever seen. She does not smell anymore than anyone else in my house and is happy in her cage, loves tv (no snakes), and freeranges the house for a good portion of the day sometimes without supervision. Not sure how she just got out of her cage again. If you have carpet diapers work well. I use a mini dremel like tool to trim nails and beak. As long as they are happy and in reasonable health they deserve the chance. They very quickly become part of the family. Even my grumpy hubby has a soft spot for her now. Good luck.

I had one and she only lived for several weeks until one morning I found her dead. She was one of the sweetest I had...I made sure to give her a deep food dish and wet her food a little so that she could easily scoop it up. But I think she just stopped growing and maybe died of starvation. I don't know, but I do miss her.

Back
Top Bottom