She's not a She

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by flowerpower, Dec 15, 2009.

1. flowerpower

flowerpower New Egg

Jul 30, 2007
    I'm sure this has come up before, but I couldn't find it on forum. In August I purchased 2 pullets--one a giant cochin and the other a black australorp. Now they're fully grown, or very close to it and it's clear that neither chicken was what I paid for. The giant cochin is a very pretty bantam cochin. The Australorp is an enormous, gorgeous rooster. The rooster is the real problem, since I live in an urban area. The neighbors don't mind hens, but I wouldn't really want to push the envelope with a rooster. (Our city has an anti-chicken ordinance, but turns a blind eye until someone complains). The rooster has to go. The kids won't eat him. My chicken-owning friends either can't have a rooster either, or already have what they need. We are surrounded by a vast recreational green space. Would it be totally out of line to release him to the wild as coyote food? I know I sound callous, but my chickens are a charming egg-laying yard decoration. Not pets. I have a dog and cat for that. What do I do?

2. jqs birds

jqs birds Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2009
    Western Colorado
    Put an add on Craigslist. I am sure someone will want him.

3. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

Do not release that bird into the wild, that is cruel. As jqs birds suggested, put an ad on Craigslist, someone will take him.

4. cluck-addict

cluck-addict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    MN
    petfinder.com has fowl
    craigslist.com rocks
    byc has a page for this
    see if your local co-op gets farm fresh eggs and if they might need another rooster

good luck;)

5. Jess N Jeff

Jess N Jeff Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2009
    South San Diego, Cali
    This may sound like a stupid question but are you sure its a rooster? Has it started crowing yet?

The reason I ask is because my Australorp has a larger comb and some mistake her for a rooster at first.
    [​IMG]
    This is her a few months ago(5 months). She is now 8 months old and her comb is twice the size. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  6. Ibicella

Ibicella Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2009
    Everett, WA
    Whatever you do, don't release him! That's just incredibly irresponsible and foisting your problems onto other people. I second putting an ad up on the internet, or sending your kids away for the day and butchering him.

7. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Craigslist, or you could list him on here! Please don't let him go... many of us are very attached to our roos, and thinking of what could happen to yours if he was released to fend for himself would break our hearts. [​IMG]

8. flowerpower

flowerpower New Egg

Jul 30, 2007
    I know! I know! I can't and won't release him into the wild. I'll post him here and on Craigslist. Yes, he is crowing. I've been putting him into a small animal pen in our shed at night and letting him out later in the morning, but this won't work as a permanent solution. It just muffles the crowing a little.

9. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    If you're considering releasing him into the wild, why not eat him yourself?? It would be much more humane. You don't have to tell your kids and DH where the meat came from. It would be much better than turning him loose.

Shelly

10. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    heck......I'll eat him, but I have a feeling you aren't in Cut Off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by