She's Picking at Her Wounds!!

sab

Crowing
13 Years
Jul 28, 2010
Ripley, WV
Any ideas on how to make this stop? Scenario: dog attack - ripped up her tail feathers and although ripped up her hind-end, didn't appear to have internal injuries -- separated from flock and bathed in warm epsom salts daily and wounds sprayed with vetercyn (spelling) -- did well and the last 2 weeks in with regular flock doing all the things chickens do and eating well -- no signs of infection. But today, she has picked at the wound and made it bleed much worse than when she was first hurt. Restarted with the bathing and antibiotic spray. And have her separated again but she will pick at her self. Her beak is blood red and I caught her doing it. I don't think it's the other birds but I am sure they would pick at her with all that bright red blood. SO how do I stop her from picking at herself??

I was so sure we were on the road to full recovery. The skin always looked a natural pink and appeared to be healing. I figure it either started itching, or feathers starting growing in and irritated her or she discovered scabs and picked. But now she's doing some real damage to herself.

Any help will be appreciated!!

Any ideas on how to make this stop? Scenario: dog attack - ripped up her tail feathers and although ripped up her hind-end, didn't appear to have internal injuries -- separated from flock and bathed in warm epsom salts daily and wounds sprayed with vetercyn (spelling) -- did well and the last 2 weeks in with regular flock doing all the things chickens do and eating well -- no signs of infection. But today, she has picked at the wound and made it bleed much worse than when she was first hurt. Restarted with the bathing and antibiotic spray. And have her separated again but she will pick at her self. Her beak is blood red and I caught her doing it. I don't think it's the other birds but I am sure they would pick at her with all that bright red blood. SO how do I stop her from picking at herself??

I was so sure we were on the road to full recovery. The skin always looked a natural pink and appeared to be healing. I figure it either started itching, or feathers starting growing in and irritated her or she discovered scabs and picked. But now she's doing some real damage to herself.

Any help will be appreciated!!

Bactine really don't taste good to chickens so spray some of that on her tail ...

Back
Top Bottom