Shipped chickens questions...

NapsWithChickens

ZZZZzzzzz....
13 Years
Feb 22, 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Hi All~

I just received 3 mature birds from BYCer lockedharts.
D.gif
They are a beautiful trio of standard splash cochins. They are doing very well - eating and drinking and scratching the dirt and pooping. They are off to themselves so that they can acclimize to my place and the changes. (Don't I sound like a mama hen? LOL)
yippiechickie.gif

She had to mail them to me in California and, now that I have them, I have some questions of you more experienced folks.

How soon should I expect the hens to start laying again?

Will the eggs' fertility be effected? These birds were together there and again here, so in theory there is no interuption or change in breeding habits.

What kind of "side effects" might I see in my new birds?

Will the roo's behavior be effected by the shipping?

I am hoping to integrate these birds into my other cochins at some point. The roosters that I already have grew up together and are very docile and get along well. This new roo seems docile to people, but how will he be to other roos?

What else might happen that I might be able to head off at the pass?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences!!!
bow.gif

I can tell you my experience. I got a trio locally. Any kind of move or change is stressful. Mine layed an egg the day they got here, and never layed another one for a month. It was also very hot weather ... 100 I believe.

I also recently got some new birds, a hen, a rooster, two pullets and a brother roo. The hen was laying prior to me getting her, but she hasn't laid since. They're all very happy, eating, poohing, exploring, and the wee ones are growing. I caught mama hen and mr. roo 'doing the deed' yesterday!! But no eggs. Its been two weeks now
pop.gif

Gl with integrating your flock
smile.png

I got 4 cochins shipped about a month ago, and still no eggs!!!!! They are otherwise happy. They do like being by themselves though. I tried to let the hang out with some other chickens and they didn't like it.

just a note though, it is molting season. relocating does seem to interupt egg laying drasticly but mine at home right now aren't laying either because of molting.

Back
Top Bottom