Couple questions

nickey

Songster
10 Years
May 16, 2013
I have a rescued flock of 1 rooster and 2 hens. I'd like to make a couple changes and winder if I should do 1 before the other. I'd like to start letting them free range some and I'd like to introduce a few new adult hens. Wondering if I should integrate them all before allowing them out of the run or go ahead and allow this small flo k to range and introduce the other hens later? Also any chance free ranging will mellow out the roo at all?

I have never introduced new chickens into my flock, however I have read that it should be eased into. This is because there is a hierarchy that has developed in your small flock and this may disrupt things and cause some issues. Some have kept them caged separately but in close proximity to the other flock before letting them be together. Hopefully others will comment on what they have done.

How old are the rescues, and how old are the new girls?

What breeds are they? Both new kids and rescues.

Yes, IMO, you will want to keep the groups in a “see no touch” scenario.
....the duration of the separation will have a lot to do w the answers to questions 1 and 2

Assuming everyone is close in age, size, and ....on the less hostile side of the breed range, it could go pretty quickly.

If they react poorly across the fence, it will take more time.

But I usually set up a pen w a temporary hutch next to my main pen.

Let the groups take turns free ranging w supervision.
Once I see the ladies starting to sleep across the fence from the others, I usually start w the all girl group, let them out to free range. And then open the gate for the older/ mixed group, and let them explore together.

If they are brats, I separate for the night and try again the next day.
If they are getting along, I’ll chase them to bed for the night and keep an eye/ ear peeled.

Good luck!

All are adult. I assume my hens to be EE, the rooster I posted here and was told barnyard mix. The new hens are not here yet but are adults - my friend has decided she has too many. She has offered me a Leghorn, hasn't decided what other one she wants to go yet.
I've read about introducing etc, mainly wasnt sure if I should go ahead and start free ranging the current then work on introducing new ones, or vice versa or use free ranging as a distraction during introduction.

Back
Top Bottom