Shipped Egg Hatch-A-Long

Eggs went into lockdown this morning. Just the 6 Lavender Ameraucana left 🙁. One way or another, there will be chicks in a few days - almost all of my own BCM flock's eggs made it to lockdown.

The cracked egg is still plugging along! This is the only cracked egg I've had that's made it this far...come on, #Denty! 🤞Those cracks were pretty bad. I also attached a photo of one egg with a large saddled air cell. Not what I want to see at this point, but there's still hope. Photos aren't too bad for holding the egg and candler in one hand and the phone in the other...just glad I didn't fumble them.

Attachments

• PXL_20210628_134343647.jpg
    PXL_20210628_134343647.jpg
    383.6 KB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20210628_134430096.jpg
    PXL_20210628_134430096.jpg
    409.5 KB · Views: 4
Unfortunately, while the cracked egg pipped internally, it failed to hatch...as did all the others but one. 😔 I candled yesterday and saw that one egg had pipped internally and was moving, so I assisted in clearing the membrane from its head. The chick hatched later, but it appears to be stargazing. I've begun treating for that condition, but am not confident it will have a good outcome.

Trying to hatch shipped eggs has really become an exercise in futility lately. I'm not holding my breath on USPS improving anytime soon, either. 😕

I'll be receiving a dozen hatching eggs in the mail this week. I really hope at least one or two survive. I'll be heartbroken if it's a total loss 😭

Back
Top Bottom