Shipped egg questions

Weeg

Enabler
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
I've had 6 Serama hatching eggs on hold for about a month now. I put them on hold since we decided to plan a vacation over the time I wanted to incubate, and that would be complicated. Yesterday I had a hen go broody, she's a great mom and has hatched 2 of her own clutches in the past, and taken over another hens nest when she gave up towards the end of incubation.
I spoke to the seller and she's sending me the eggs for my broody now. The problem is she's in Florida, and I'm in Wa. Its quite a distance and had I checked before buying I probably would have picked a farm closer to me. I didn't though so here I am. :p
The seller was super nice and decided to send me 15 eggs that she had on hand since we're so far away. I think this will greatly improve my hatch rate.
I've ordered eggs in the past, and got terrible hatch rates. All the air cells were scrambled, and I got no live chicks.
Is there anything I can do to improve the hatch rates once they get here? My incubator that I will put half the eggs in, (NR360) also lays the eggs sideways, and so will the broody. I know I will stand them air cell up for 24 hours, and only give the best eggs to the broody, but is there anything else I can do? More eggs will give more cushion so thats good, but any additional tips are helpful.
If I have some with really scrambled cells, I know I should put them up in egg cartons in the NR360, but that means the turner wont work right? I'll have to open it constantly to manually turn them. I'm also not here consistently enough to turn them, so its a bit of a tricky situation. Thanks for any additional tips, I appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom