shipped eggs, are they worth it?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bock, Nov 24, 2010.

1. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    I have been interested in buying some hatching eggs, but I worry that they won't hatch. What hatch rates do you get from shipped eggs?

2. NicoleRM

NicoleRM Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2007
    Williston, FL
    Quote:There has been a lot of discussion on this lately I think. Most are lucky to get 30-50%.

You're much better off trying to find a breeder within driving distance and picking them up yourself.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Oh. It really varies. I get 50% or better.

4. There a chick...

There a chick... Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    West Michigan
    I have done two hatches with shipped eggs, the first was 100% (with 8 eggs) and the second was 4 out of 7 eggs (57%). [​IMG]

5. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I wouldn't pay a lot and there is of course a risk, depending on a lot of things. Such as whether the shipper is honest and sends fresh eggs, how they are packed, how soon you can pick them up from the PO and the weather. IMO now is a good time as temps are not to cold in some areas of the country. Early spring is another.

I would post who you are getting them from and see if others have had good or bad luck with them.

Oh yeah, your hatch depends on how good you are at hatching with your particular incubator. I've posted this before but I'll post it again. I have a copy of Incubating from Practical poultry magazine that helped me alot. I can mail it to you or fax it to you and I think I can figure out how to e-mail it to you if you'd like.

Wishing you a sucessful hatching experience
    Rancher

6. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    the reliability of your incubator is a huge factor. If it spikes to 110 (one of mine did) it doesn't matter if they were shipped or laid at your house it is fried. with my genesis if the egg is fertile I get about 60-70% hatch some breeds are harder to hatch like japs because of the short legs.

7. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    I've had anywhere from 0% to 100% hatches on shipped eggs. There are so many factors, there is no way to predict what you'll get.

8. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Oh I forgot another. It depends on the health of the stock and the egg itself.

9. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Thank you everyone! Sorry for the relatively nondescript post, I was in a hurry. Around February I will probably try to get the eggs. Honestly, I am not even sure about what breeds I want. I have been thinking maybe Copper Marans, Olive eggers, Rhode Island Reds, true Americanas and/or Easter Eggers, Barred Rocks, the list goes on. I have been trying to figure out how I can do all this without spending tons of $$ and getting way too many birds. It is all a mess right now. [​IMG] I am really excited for Spring though!

Rancher hicks, thank you for the offer! Is there anyway you could PM that to me?

*sigh* I really have to start thinking about this. February is only 3 months away! [​IMG]

10. sloallie10

sloallie10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    I got 4/12 to hatch from Virginia to California for $22

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by