shipped eggs, are they worth it?

Do you have a incubator? If so what brand?

Are you going for hatchery type chickens or Standard Breed chickens there is a difference.

This is the hardest thing to do as a beginner. When people ask me where they can get such and such breed I wonder on their experience.

Some want the rarest breeds no buddy wants to sell eggs and except non standard birds and if drives me nuts some times.

Sounds like you got a good thread going here. bob

I made my own incubator out of a cooler, it took a lot of tinkering to get it regulated but I got had a 80% hatch rate. I battled regulating my humidity and temp. But once I figured out the right everything it was grand. Now I'm afraid to move it! It cost about $30.00 to make my own, I could afford that more so than the incubators.

I have seen people fuss at every brand of incubator at different times. I think all of them have strenghts and weaknesses. I like my homemade because of the cost, plus I like knowing I can do it. I hope you get other great advice.

Good luck,

Christal

Right now I have a circulated air Little Giant Incubator. I can not stand that incubator! The temperature control is terrible, and the humidity is hard to keep steady. I have hatched ducklings in it before, and I probably got about a 60% hatch rate, but I didn't think to check. I have heard good things about the Brinsea 20 Eco, and I am trying to get it for my B-day or Christmas.
tongue.png
My experience.... I have owned chickens for about seven years, but just two years ago I finally expanded from 3 to 7 chickens (feed store chicks). Last year I had a broody hen hatch 4 bantams, so now I am up to 11. I also have 13 ducks and two geese from Metzer Farms. I can't wait to hatch their eggs! I have heard bad things about hatchery birds, but I never experienced it myself, other than them not being up to standard. I hope to eventually start a small egg business, so I want a variety of egg colors and happy, healthy hens. I will not be showing them. Well, that's all I can think of for now!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I have had 8 of 10 hatch shipped from California to Florida. I have had many other varied results. If you are trying to get good stock sometimes it is worth it just to get a few good eggs hatched from a reputable breeder. So if you can't buy chicks then the eggs are worth it if at least some hatch you will have your start. All you need is a boy and a girl lol.

I've incubated shipped eggs from the east coast. I've had great hatches so far with the breeders here on BYC. One breeder I had 100% development on eggs shipped from VA to CA. I haven't had a hatch less than 50%. (but I don't expect anything above 50%)

Start watching the egg auctions here, and the threads in the breeds/genetics area, and you'll see peoples stock. (assuming you want breeder stock) If you want hatchery stock for layers then go with a hatchery order from Ideal, mypetchicken, McMurray, etc.

Last edited:
https://www.gqfmfg.com/pdf/1590%20Instruction%20Manual%202.pdf

I
have four incubators and when new folks ask me what they should buy I tell them the 1590 self controled foam incubaor from GAF is the best. It should last many many years and I have a friend who uses his as a hatcher and has a $700 Rolx tabe top and said this little foam unit hatches as good as it. For table top incubators the Rolex model is used even by reptile breeders it is that good. If you are going to spend all this money to get eggs to you you have to have setting hens or a good little incubator like the 1590. Its preset and is steady and has a fan. You can turn your eggs by hand two times a day and it will work great. I have one like you told me about. I took the guts out of it, the fan and the heating element and put it in a home made wooden incubaotor made out of Red Wood. It is a good hatcher and I even hatched my call ducks in it. The reason same guts as the cheap foam incubator but the Red Wood is the best wood incubators where ever made out of. I have a large old fashion Lehy that is fantastic, but I dont use it anymore since I only raise bantams. It is a great unit for a large fowl and even better for water fowl eggs.

If you family wants to give you a nice Christmas Present this year ask them for a 1590 from GQF. My friend did two years ago and the best Christmas Present he ever got. Below is the best wooden incubator ever built. bob

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=418800&p=2

Last edited:
Quote:
Best to buy your eggs locally or at least within CA. It will improve your hatch rate
wink.png
Lots of us here in Northern CA will have eggs to sell come Feb.
big_smile.png
I will have Blue Laced Red Wyandottes and Silver/Gold Duckwing Easter Eggers out of my true Wheaten Ameraucana rooster, and a friend of mine will have Black Copper Marans, true Black (maybe lavender) Ameraucanas, and Blue (maybe Columbian) Wyandottes.
thumbsup.gif

Thanks for the bator suggestions Robert! I will definitely do some research on that particular one. It sounds like it works really well.
smile.png

Chickee, thank you for the offer! I might just take you up on that! I still have to see what I am going to do though. I might get the Barred Rocks, Easter eggers, and Rhode Island Reds from the feed store, attempt to hatch leghorns from Trader Joe's eggs, just for the heck of it, and buy hatching eggs for the Marans (dark egg laying) and Olive eggers, since hatcheries don't sell those. But, if I get a good incubator, then I will probably hatch them all. Who knows! I guess we will just have to see.
big_smile.png

I got 20 eggs and they all failed. Getting a few more next week and we will see how it goes. The thing is, all my own Jap eggs developed and hatched, though some were shrink wrapped and didn't make it. If these new eggs make it, even a few, I will be buying more shipped eggs.
All I can say to someone thinking of getting shipped eggs, how much $ are you willing to loose? You need a budget [stick to it] you are willing to practically toss out the window, it's a gamble.

BTW, I'm looking for Virginia local eggs. ^.^

Last edited:
Quote:
Are Trader Joe's eggs fertile? We buy eggs from TJ's, I'll check them for fertility next time we use eggs. If they are fertile what are the effects of being refrigerated for a week or two?
Joe

Back
Top Bottom