Shipped eggs early and incubator late

So I let them settle and checked. I’ve got one with a completely detached air cell. I’ve got 2 with a broken chalazae I believe as the yolk seems to sink. I’ve got 2 saddle air cells. Then 7 perfect eggs. What’s the best way to handle the broken chalazae? The saddle cells? Any hope for the totally detached air cell?
Saddle air cells are fine many people still have success hatching 😃

Incubate upright for all and don’t turn for 7 days for the worst ones. I’m not sure what kind of incubator you have but I would incubate upright the whole time. If your incubator doesn’t hold eggs upright I cut up a clean egg carton and use that to hold eggs in position. How far did the eggs travel?
So I have the 2 saddle cell and the totally detached upright, small end down, in my incubator. I should even do the 7 good ones? How do you turn if you are doing them on their ends? Roughly 150 miles. Shipped Monday, arrived Wednesday.

So I have the 2 saddle cell and the totally detached upright, small end down, in my incubator. I should even do the 7 good ones? How do you turn if you are doing them on their ends? Roughly 150 miles. Shipped Monday, arrived Wednesday.
There’s a lot of debate on how to handle shipped eggs. Recent studies show it’s more important to turn them then to let them sit for too long. I would let them sit unturned for maximum 48 hours if it were me (and only 24 if the eggs were older). Keep them in a cool place pointy side down until you get them in the incubator. You’ll have to do your research and make up your own mind about how you handle these.
If the eggs are damaged beyond repair, no amount of sitting is going to change that.
😊

You twist the egg to turn…doesn’t seem like they traveled too far so that’s good. Ladiesandjane made a good point everyone has their own approach with shipped eggs. I got some Serama eggs from Florida (I’m in WA state) she is a very experienced seller and she instructed me to not turn for 7 days as they traveled thousands of miles and had a rougher ride. While my other batch of shipped eggs were within state I did not turn for 4 days as they had a shorter trip. There as many variables and you’ll get your incubation technique dialed down with more experience. My first attempt at hatching eggs were peafowl shipped from Georgia and it was a bust I paid $175 bucks for 5 eggs but I learned. Keep us updated with your hatch! ❤️

There’s a lot of debate on how to handle shipped eggs. Recent studies show it’s more important to turn them then to let them sit for too long. I would let them sit unturned for maximum 48 hours if it were me (and only 24 if the eggs were older). Keep them in a cool place pointy side down until you get them in the incubator. You’ll have to do your research and make up your own mind about how you handle these.
If the eggs are damaged beyond repair, no amount of sitting is going to change that.
😊
So if I incubate upright, pointy side down, twist to turn, how long do I leave them upright?

So if I incubate upright, pointy side down, twist to turn, how long do I leave them upright?
If you choose to incubate upright, most people would just continue to incubate them this way and they can also hatch this way. Others choose to incubate upright for for the first 7-10 days, then set them on their sides for the rest of incubation. You can also incubate them on their sides and then have them hatch upright. There’s basically as many ways to do this as there are people on BYC. I did a poll earlier this year about this topic and found that people are fairly evenly split in how they incubate shipped eggs. Personally, I have tried incubating several different ways and have found no real difference in success rate with shipped eggs. Good luck with your hatch, I know it is difficult to decide what to do. Wishing you the best.❤️

I'm keeping mine upright throughout. They get a quarter turn several times a day, & I monitor their weight loss.
I had scrambled eggs (fail)& detached air cells.
Some of my detached aircells have become "saddled" at 2 weeks, some have corrected, one definitely failed.
So not pretty,but improving. I went through this last time, did the same thing, got the same improvements, active embryos.
The hatch itself was an epic fail last time, (broken egg in batch-contamination), but until then it was great.🤷‍♀️ since there were none broken this time - 🤞.

Back
Top Bottom