Shipped eggs question

No, I dont think so, but let me look really quic . I dont have the box anymore but I think I can check on amazon. This is the one I have, the black one. The yellow one is a reptile one which came with a chameleon enclosure. I didnt calibrate that one, and it is off about 1 to 2View attachment 1887666 degrees according to my calibrated one
No it's not the same. Just wondered. Thanks for the pic.

On another note, you are the second person who has drawn the air cells on the eggs, that I have seen. I wish I had done that. So much easier to tell if it expanding correctly. My first hatch, so I'm learning something new every day.

No it's not the same. Just wondered. Thanks for the pic.

On another note, you are the second person who has drawn the air cells on the eggs, that I have seen. I wish I had done that. So much easier to tell if it expanding correctly. My first hatch, so I'm learning something new every day.
This is the first time I have done this. I had a horribly disappointing hatch my last go around. Only 3 out of 40 live chicks. I'm assuming this was due to health/age of the flock the eggs came from, but, that being said it was my first hatch in 5+ years.

This time I've got eggs from a quality stock of show birds, and a few from my own backyard mix. I drew the air cells this time so I can keep track of all the variables and maybe find a pattern with what does/doesnt work.

Instead of trying to judge the size of the air cell with my aging eyes I found it easier to weigh my eggs on a digital scale on D01, D10, and D18. I found that, although the overall average weight loss of my setting by D18 was around 13%, right where I wanted it to be, the individual weight loss of each egg varied considerably. Some of the eggs lost less than 10% (smaller air cells). Some of the eggs lost as much as 20% (larger air cells). There did not seem to be a correlation between weight loss/air cell size and hatch. Generally speaking, the <10% loss eggs and the 20% loss eggs had about the same success rate. Of course I am working with pretty small numbers so my observations may not be significant.

I also numbered the eggs and recording their position in the egg turner to see if position made any difference. As far as I can tell position in my setup didn't make any difference.

Last edited:
This is a relief to me. I only have one egg that has survived to day 14 and at this point has only lost 8%. However, the air cell looks good and the chick is moving. :fl

I pulled up my spreadsheet for my last setting- my D10 average weight loss (all eggs) was 9%. I thought it was a little high so I adjusted the ventilation.

Lowest D10 loss was a 50 gram egg that lost 6%. Successful hatch.

Highest D10 loss was a 55 gram egg that lost 13%. Successful hatch.

I pulled up my spreadsheet for my last setting- my D10 average weight loss (all eggs) was 9%. I thought it was a little high so I adjusted the ventilation.

Lowest D10 loss was a 50 gram egg that lost 6%. Successful hatch.

Highest D10 loss was a 55 gram egg that lost 13%. Successful hatch.

Did they all have varying sizes of air cells to begin with? This awesome info! Just the kind of thing I came trying to do myself. I wish I would have numbered eggs. Perhaps I still can/will. I've got a couple candling days still

Did they all have varying sizes of air cells to begin with? This awesome info! Just the kind of thing I came trying to do myself. I wish I would have numbered eggs. Perhaps I still can/will. I've got a couple candling days still

Rather than inspect each egg for size of air cell I just weigh 'em. That's what hatcheries do. Hatcheries cannot inspect the air cells of 100,000+/- eggs per setting so they weigh trays and average the result. In my small-scale operation I can weigh each egg.

Last edited:
Rather than inspect each egg for size of air cell I just weigh 'em. That's what hatcheries do. Hatcheries cannot inspect the air cells of 100,000+/- eggs per setting so they weigh whole trays and average the result. In my small-scale operation I can weigh each egg.

Yes I've read a lot about this method recently. I might try this on my next batch, and the one after that track air cell and weight.

Back
Top Bottom