Shipped eggs, terrible air cells

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sustained, Mar 21, 2018.

1. Sustained

Sustained Songster

Sep 17, 2014
    Oregon
    It's been too long since I hatched shipped eggs. I can't remember the best position for lockdown. Sitting up in an egg carton or laying down? I received an almost completely scrambled batch of eggs. 3 of the 18 developed. Lockdown in 2 days if they keep going. The air cells are really bad. Not saddle shaped but really messed up and bubbly. Would it be best to leave them upright? Or try laying them down?

HenniesInMyHeart likes this.
  2. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    I don't have an answer/suggestion for you, I am sorry.
    Could you possible post pictures of the air cells?

3. AlleysChicks

AlleysChicks Enabler

Oct 10, 2016
    Southern Ohio
    Lay them on their sides. You may have several malpositions. If they are up in cartons and pip at the wrong end they will for sure die. Learned that last summer first hand :hit Good luck!

CayugaJana and KikisGirls like this.
  4. HenniesInMyHeart

HenniesInMyHeart Songster

Mar 12, 2018
    Colorado
    Aww honey. I am sorry. *hennie hugs* My poor Easter Hatch-A-Long eggs are like this. They have big air cells with bad saddlebags. :( In my most recent batch of Jubilee Orpingtons, one poor baby's air cell is totally detached. I have them sitting upright and only rotating in that position for several days in an attempt to correct it. I'm not sure what can be done in later development except crank up your humidity to as high as possible if your air cells are super big/dry. Sending hopeful thoughts your way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: