Shipped eggs that some were broke is this yellow stuff normal??

fdnick

Master Chicken Hoarder
12 Years
Aug 22, 2007
Spokane, Wa.
Hey guys.. this is the first set of eggs that we shipped in that some were broke.. is this yellow stuff normal?? maybe just a busted yolk? seems to be alot!!!

MAN!! that stuff was all inside the box.. the other egg that was broken was full of clear slime.. just the one had the yellow stuff
Denna

I looked at your picture again-is that one egg or two eggs in each bubblewrap section? Were eggshells touching each other? I use bubblewrap, but I don't wrap mine the way they did in the picture. Also, were there enough packing peanuts in there or was the entire thing pretty loosely packed? They need to be packed so they cannot move around in the box. Just wondering.

Last edited:
they were individually wrapped in buble wrap but loose in a small box (there were 2 small boxes 6 eggs in each) then the small boxes were in a big box with peanuts. The eggs had to much "sliding around" room in the small box, they ended up all sliding to one side and one in each box was busted..
Denna

I see. Sounds like you figured out the problem, then. At no time can there be sliding room. I had someone on BYC send me eggs in a similar way, but she had them packed each in bubblewrap, differently than your picture, though, then a number in each small rectangular box, each box in the large bubblewrap, then peanuts and newspaper, I think. Anyway, the key was NO SLIDING ROOM. Every egg must be snug. Also, the eggs must have good shell quality; no thin shells.
There are several ways that work, but they just can't move in the box. I also line the box with the large bubblewrap and styrofoam sheets, if I have them. So far, so good.
Sorry that happened to you! What a mess to work through!

Last edited:
I'm sorry you had to open a box and deal with that mess.
I was familiar with seeing that sort of mess when I recieved hatching eggs and it inspired me to be a 'better egg shipper' when I started shipping eggs for hatching.
If the yolk and gunk is on the intact eggs, I'd clean them best I could with a damp towel and candle to make sure none have cracks that might be a problem later on. If they have hairline cracks, they might start oozing and that isn't pleasant.
While you are candling, you might make notice of the air cells --- whether they stay in place at the big end of the egg or move around.
If the air cell moves around, the embryo is not likely to develop.
Good luck,
Lisa

Lisa, I think it's your method I use, the burrito wrap? No eggs have ever been broken, or even cracked that I've sent out. Thanks for posting that a long time ago. It's excellent!
big_smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom