Shipped eggs with detached air cells

svfarm

Chirping
May 10, 2015
I have two broody muscovy ducks right now. And I really don't need any more muscovies. My other ducks are khakis but I have a pekin drake and a khaki drake in with them. I don't really want mixed breed ducklings. So I ordered eggs.
The eggs had a long journey and the air cells were all detached but don't look damaged. They have been sitting in an egg carton for over 48 hours and the air cells still have not reattached.
What should I do? Should I give the ducks a few possibly mixed breed eggs and hatch the shipped ones in the incubator? Should I wait a little longer?

I would start them in the incubator with the intention of still giving them to the brood hens. When I've hatched shipped eggs, they usually reattach the first week. Maybe give the ducks some golf balls or plastic eggs to tide them over until you can make the switch?

Just a thought, and what I'd do in your situation... :)

I had given the experienced broody chicken eggs but she wouldn't actually sit on them. She just ended up breaking a few and contaminating the rest. I was hoping there would be ready before she noticed. But she realized they were all dead the other day and now sits on top of the box making very unhappy noises. The other is a first time broody and is very content on a single fake egg.

Back
Top Bottom