shipped eggs with movable air cells?

HathawayHens

Songster
9 Years
Apr 14, 2010
DeLand, FL
Hi all- I have some shipped eggs here, and in several of them, the air cell moves all over the place when you turn the egg. Is it worth incubating those eggs, or are they sure to die? Anyone know? Thanks!

I've heard of that with a lot of people, myself included. I think, after the eggs settle if you incubate them for the first 12 hours without turning it can help re-fix the air cells. I don't think it's as much of a worry in an incubator as it would be under a broody hen. As long as you have large end up the air cell will go to the top and be in the right place.

I wonder what others think

I was wondering if it means that the membrane has separated from the shell... that seems like it would be bad.
hu.gif

I always put in the ones with broken/detached air cells in and see what happens. I have talked to someone before and they told me to incubate them for the first 7-10 days without turning them and that would help to fix the air cells. I tried it and it does work but only about 50% of the time. The rest that didn't fix themselves never did develope into anything, not a single vein. I have also put them straight into a turner with air cells like that and those never develope at all.

I had some with the air cell loose and I tried to set the up straight, I left them alone, but they never did re attached, ended up throwing them all away but I didn't notice it until the 4th day, perhaps if you kick it in the butt immediately you could have better luck than what I had..

well, they have been sitting for a few days already resting in a carton... not ideal, I know, but I can't set until tomorrow. I don't expect much from the detached ones, but you never do know...

Back
Top Bottom