Shipped eggs with scrambled air cells

Toady is day 3. I've had them sitting upright in egg cartons for 3 days, and today I laid them in the turner and gave 7 to the broody.
I marked 3 I believe as possibly infertile, but I'm not entirely sure about 2 of them. I'll wait a bit to toss any though.
So I do have one detached air cell. The embryo is strong, but the air cells moves around the egg as I turn it. I laid that one on its side as well, but I'm wondering if that ones needs to be sat up right?
I gave 7 eggs to Sunny as well. She took then eager and gently. I gave her all the ones that I knew were fertile, but had wonky air cells. She's doing a great job and is so dedicated to those eggs. I'll keep you updated on how they do, and what I see as incubation continues.

@FoodFreedomNow @MGG Any ideas for the egg with the detached air cell? Its in my incubator now on its side. I know that usually it would be sat upright correct? And turned manually? I wont be here consistently enough to manually turn it though, so will it be alright on its side? Should I just prop it up for lockdown maybe so the cell is at the correct end for the chick?

@FoodFreedomNow @MGG Any ideas for the egg with the detached air cell? Its in my incubator now on its side. I know that usually it would be sat upright correct? And turned manually? I wont be here consistently enough to manually turn it though, so will it be alright on its side? Should I just prop it up for lockdown maybe so the cell is at the correct end for the chick?
Let me read quick.

@Weeg, I've tried the "upright in cartons and only twisted slightly" method a couple of times without impressive results. With the shipping-damaged eggs I have in the incubator now, I just left them upright/unturned in the incubator for 3 days, then turned on the autoturner. Yes, I've lost more than a few so far to blood rings, but some are still plugging along.

If you can't set them upright and hand turn, autoturning is better than not turning at all, IMO. Trying to hatch shipped eggs seems to be a crapshoot. 🤷

@Weeg, I've tried the "upright in cartons and only twisted slightly" method a couple of times without impressive results. With the shipping-damaged eggs I have in the incubator now, I just left them upright/unturned in the incubator for 3 days, then turned on the autoturner. Yes, I've lost more than a few so far to blood rings, but some are still plugging along.

If you can't set them upright and hand turn, autoturning is better than not turning at all, IMO. Trying to hatch shipped eggs seems to be a crapshoot. 🤷
Yes, agreed. With shipped eggs you never know anything about the flock they came from other then what the seller advertises, and you never know how they get stored or handled along the way.
So just let it incubate sideways then I guess. The egg actually had a pretty strong embryo when I candled, but we'll see how he fares. Just hope the little guy makes it! :fl

I candled all the eggs yesterday, and 3 that were under my broody. I color coded the sections of the egg turner so I could call the eggs by color. Egg red is the one with the detached air cell. It's going strong but the embryo seems to move with the air cell?
Egg Orange is likely infertile, that one had the worst air cell, super misshapen ect. The rest are looking good as well.
The 3 I candled under my broody look better though. They have the strongest, brightest, longest veins. Its pretty neat actually. I'll keep you updated!

I candled all the eggs yesterday, and 3 that were under my broody. I color coded the sections of the egg turner so I could call the eggs by color. Egg red is the one with the detached air cell. It's going strong but the embryo seems to move with the air cell?
Egg Orange is likely infertile, that one had the worst air cell, super misshapen ect. The rest are looking good as well.
The 3 I candled under my broody look better though. They have the strongest, brightest, longest veins. Its pretty neat actually. I'll keep you updated!
Hmm...egg Red sounds interesting. Does the embryo look stuck to the air cell?

Since Orange suffered so much shipping trauma, it could just be that it was scrambled, too. Or infertile. Tough to tell with shipped eggs. 🙂

It's great that the eggs under your broody are doing so well! They seem to sense what the eggs need and adjust in ways an incubator just can't.

Hmm...egg Red sounds interesting. Does the embryo look stuck to the air cell?

Since Orange suffered so much shipping trauma, it could just be that it was scrambled, too. Or infertile. Tough to tell with shipped eggs. 🙂

It's great that the eggs under your broody are doing so well! They seem to sense what the eggs need and adjust in ways an incubator just can't.
Egg red is interesting. The embryo does seem to be stuck the the air cell. The little black dot, (embryo's eye right?) moves with the air cell when I turn it. The veins are slightly full as well, I'm wondering if I should give that one to the broody tol, so that she can give it the proper care it needs.
Its so interesting that they can sense that. Really neat. I feel really good about her clutch, I think she'll get good hatch rates. Thanks for all your help!

Back
Top Bottom