Shipped eggs,

I ordered 1 dozen eggs. One was cracked when I received it and after 21 days, 2 hatched on their own, 1 I helped hatch and they are all great. 1 had internally pipped but was dead and the other had dies early on. So out of 11 eggs incubated I got 3 chicks that are now 5 weeks. I've heard the hatch rate for shipped eggs is about 40%.

My eggs are stuck at the post office on a three day weekend and I cannot get them until Tuesday, I am not hopeful that I will have much of a hatch rate from them.

Looking on the bright side, at least your eggs are resting quietly over the long weekend, not being shaken or bounced around who knows where and the temps are warmer than they were a month or two ago, so hopefully you'll get some to hatch.
So far this year I incubated 18 shipped eggs and 2 hatched. Another pipped but the shell of one hatching covered the pip and I didn't see it in time.
sad.png
That batch the temps had dropped unseasonably at night into the single digits while they were in transit, and they took an extra day to arrive. Then instead of calling me the post office loaded them into the mailman's jeep and they rode all over the township for a day before they arrived.
Now I have a dozen shipped eggs in the incubator. Lockdown is tomorrow. When I candled at day twelve, 9 seemed to be developing well. I cracked the other three and they hadn't started. These eggs took two days less to arrive than the first batch and they came a shorter distance and the weather was warmer.
It will be interesting to see how many hatch.
I also ordered 8 day old chicks which arrived the end of April. Weatherwise our season is about two weeks behind this year. They arrived a day late...Somehow sat in Philadelphia misplaced for a day and by the time they arrived, even with a heatpack, two were dead. Thankfully the other six turned four weeks old today and are doing well.

LOL I guess there is always a bright side! This is only the second time I have had eggs mailed to me. I usually find breeders within driving distance, but I had to have these eggs.

My eggs are stuck at the post office on a three day weekend and I cannot get them until Tuesday, I am not hopeful that I will have much of a hatch rate from them.
Last year I had the same problem and out of 8 egg's 7 hatched and 6 are still in the yard and the came from N.C. to California and it was 9 days and on a 4 day weekend so it all depends on weather and handling as well as fertility .......

Back
Top Bottom