shipped hatching eggs - what is expected?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by snugglepup, Jan 14, 2008.

1. snugglepup

snugglepup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2007
    Creedmoor, NC
    I guess this is not unusual?

Out of 12+ silkie eggs (I think there were 14 maybe?), 4 were clear at 1 week. Ok, no problem. Candled again around day 18 when moving them to the hatcher, 2 more appeared to have stopped developing. Day 21, 4 pipped, 3 hatched and one of those died immediately (was real small and had a lot of yolk sac material). One still has a red thing at his navel, but is eating drinking and pooping and seems as active as the others. The last chick is completely normal.

I also set some eggs from my own chickens along side. Only one was clear, everyone else hatched healthy, no problems. So I don't think it's the bator.

2. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Probably shipping.....they get beat up a bit in shipping.....did you let them et for 24 hours when you got them?

Sorry you didnt get better results.

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

My experiance with shipped eggs has varied from 1 out of 18 to 11 out of 18 or so. All except the first time I did shipped eggs I put some of my own eggs in too and they always hatch well, so I really feel like it's the shipping they go through...not my incubating that's at fault.

4. snugglepup

Apr 15, 2007
    Creedmoor, NC
    Yep, I let them sit big end up for about 36 hrs. This was our 3rd attempt with shipped eggs. First try yielded one chick. Second try none developed at all... I assume something really bad must have happened in shipping. This was our best effort yet.

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I also have had great luck with shipped eggs down to nothing hatching...this last batch I put in the bator none of the shipped eggs even developed, my eggs that I put in along side all hatched..so it wasn't bator problems but shipping.....

6. Crunchie

Crunchie Brook Valley Farm

Mar 1, 2007
    Maryland
    Last batch I had shipped I got 7 healthy chicks from 15 eggs. They were packaged well and none were broken, but I did have 2 loose air cells--so, they probably did have a rough transit. I consider myself very lucky to have the 7 hatch that I did.

Unfortunately, you gamble every time you buy shipped eggs. You can have the freshest, most fertile, most nicely packaged eggs on one end, and a great and reliable incubator on the other end....but it's that pesky shipping business between that gets you!!

7. snugglepup

Apr 15, 2007
    Creedmoor, NC
    yep. it's a bummer. *sigh*

8. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    Yeah, that's the problem with shipped eggs. I have both shipped and received eggs. I must say the eggs I have shipped have hatched better than the eggs I have received,but who knoes why? I usually have a decent hatch rate on my own eggs. There are just so many variables. Some people only get 4-5 chicks to hatch, but I've had a few people get close to 90%. I'd say 50% is good for shipped eggs.

9. crysmom

crysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2007
    Two seperate breeders I have bought from have told me if all goes well to expect a 30-50% hatch rate on shipped eggs, and this has been my experience as well 30 eggs 13 hatched, and the following time 16 eggs 9 hatched (although two died)

10. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    Out of the last two batches of silkie eggs I've had 0 hatch. Then I've have delaware eggs shipped from Texas 9 out of 16 doing great so far. Then the EE's I bought are doing great 2 were broken 1 clear. Plus 11 days ago I bought 12+ silkie eggs from a well known breeder out of NY and not one has developed. So I know it's not my incubator I hatch my own eggs great & some of the shipped eggs do good while others are a no go from the start.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by