Shipped hatching eggs

Kimmyk80

Songster
Jul 16, 2019
I just received my Ayam Cemani eggs in the mail yesterday. I have hatched shipped eggs before, waiting 24 hours before putting them in the incubator. The instructions for these eggs say not to turn for the first 72 hours in the incubator. I didn’t do that with my other shipped eggs, but the company claims waiting to turn them gives the air cell more time to heal if it’s damaged. Thoughts?

Turning is very important the first week. I lost a majority of my quail eggs because I didn't realize they weren't turning the first six days. Does your incubator turn sideways or upright?

Turning is very important the first week. I lost a majority of my quail eggs because I didn't realize they weren't turning the first six days. Does your incubator turn sideways or upright?
It had an automatic turner that keeps them upright but tilts them.

I just received my Ayam Cemani eggs in the mail yesterday. I have hatched shipped eggs before, waiting 24 hours before putting them in the incubator. The instructions for these eggs say not to turn for the first 72 hours in the incubator. I didn’t do that with my other shipped eggs, but the company claims waiting to turn them gives the air cell more time to heal if it’s damaged. Thoughts?
I would follow those instructions, I practice that method myself.

After reading this article I turn mine right from the start, detached air cells or not.
https://thepoultrysite.com/articles/the-biology-behind-egg-turning

To summarise, turning is very important for the development of the sub-embryonic membranes. If they don't develop properly the chicks growth is limited as those sub-embryonic membranes (the amnion and chorion-allantois) provide the embryo with nutrients from the yolk, albumen and shell.

It's internal damage to the egg due to shipping stress that causes them to not develop/stop developing, rather than detached air cells being the cause, and those eggs won't survive no matter what you do. I ordered 8 eggs from a seller but only managed to get 3 to hatch - most died in the first week. This time around, same seller, I ordered a dozen and I have 10 out of 12 still going strong on day 16. For the most part it's the trip they've had to you and how they were packaged that dictates how much success you'll have.

Back
Top Bottom