Shipped older eggs + colder than optimal storage temps...

LinaNate

Songster
7 Years
Sep 16, 2012
Southern Illinois
I won an egg auction last week. Then we had a spell of single digit temps. The seller kindly held the eggs for me so they wouldn't freeze and crack. We'd discussed that some would be older but that they would throw in extras too. I got them today via priority mail 3 day. I paid for 10 and they sent 3 dozen! Pleasantly surprised for sure.

All the eggs arrived unbroken/ uncracked and almost all the air cells are staying in place. Some have odd shapes to the air cell pocket that the air cell kind of moves around in but all the pockets are in the large end of the egg and they aren't to insanely saddle shaped. Some are cell pockets have a pretty pronounced ring around their edge?

I'm wondering if there is any way to detect the older eggs before I set them in the incubator in 24 hrs? I don't have the means to incubate all 36 eggs at once. I'd like to for sure incubate the good ones, in my mini Brnsea and my "coolerbator" but I've still only got capacity for say a dozen eggs at once (unless I put eggs in my coolerbator on the wire above the light?!)... or perhaps I could save some newer ones for holding while I incubate the older ones first to detect viability after a week of incubation... What would you do?

I'd go to Tractor Supply and buy one of their 'cheapy' (pun intended) incubators. Eventually you are going to need more incubator capability - everyone does. Yes, I'm an enabler.

Wow, I need to know what seller you bought from that you paid for 10, and got 36!!!!!
What kind are they? You can do the float test...

From the same seller that I shared? I'd love to see pics of your hatchlings!
I just candled the eggs on day 4... 16 have veins which is way more than I can say for my 6 silkie egg buying experience on ebay.

Sorry just seen your comment. Yes, from the same seller. I had issues with my Bator so only 2 made it. But I will take pics tomorrow. For you. One is a cute little frizzle

Back
Top Bottom