Adjusting for 60 hour Power Outage

Canadian Wind

Duck Crazy Canuck
Premium Feather Member
Jul 25, 2022
Eastern Ontario
My Coop
My Coop
After the massive storm that hit the north east last week, I lost power for almost 60 hours. I had two incubators running, one that was in lockdown. The incubators were wrapped and bundled so as to save as much heat as possible but after three days that was kind of moot.

After I let the eggs sit and warm up almost 12 hours once the power was back, I did some candling, expecting the worst. To y surprise and elation, it appears that most of the duck eggs made it! Some were on day 18, and some at day 5, when the power went out.

My goose eggs, also day 5, don't look like they made it and are forming red rings. :hit

It was hard to tell with the eggs in the lockdown incubator, but I *may* have seen some movement in one of them. OR, it may have been wishful thinking.

All that just to ask: do I just add 2 1/2 days to their incubation and lockdown later? Or will I need to start candling at the original lockdown date to check air cells and once they descend *then* lock them down? I've heard it doesn't hurt them if you stop turning a few days early.

Thanks!

Only 2 of the eggs that had been on day 18 made it to now. Ducklings are active and one is definitely internally pipped. They should have hatched around Wednesday so the delay is about right.

Of the other duck eggs that had been at day five, I have six still going strong. I wonder how far behind they are in development. They were due for lockdown next Friday, the 26th.

It's amazing what they can go through and still persevere.

It's amazing what they can go through and still persevere.
So cool that life finds a way! :wee

For future consideration, one method that I like to use especially during the longer term outages is hot water bottles (or a sealed container of whatever type and not hot enough to melt it).. water heated on the BBQ side burner or propane camping stove then tucked around the bator under the blankets. It's still not ideal.. but it's good to have some options.

I had thought about and used them for transporting chicks previously.. but never considered them for outages until today.. but keeping some of those chemical type hand warmer things on hand for just such purpose MIGHT be worth it.. especially if you happen to sell any of the hatch-lings.. but even just on a personal level!

I do also keep small water bottles filled with sand and water (thinking the sand is denser and *may* prolong the usage time in the event of an outage).. in my bators as heatsinks if I have enough space.

Happy hatching! :jumpy

So cool that life finds a way! :wee

For future consideration, one method that I like to use especially during the longer term outages is hot water bottles (or a sealed container of whatever type and not hot enough to melt it).. water heated on the BBQ side burner or propane camping stove then tucked around the bator under the blankets. It's still not ideal.. but it's good to have some options.

I had thought about and used them for transporting chicks previously.. but never considered them for outages until today.. but keeping some of those chemical type hand warmer things on hand for just such purpose MIGHT be worth it.. especially if you happen to sell any of the hatch-lings.. but even just on a personal level!

I do also keep small water bottles filled with sand and water (thinking the sand is denser and *may* prolong the usage time in the event of an outage).. in my bators as heatsinks if I have enough space.

Happy hatching! :jumpy
I'd thought of that, but the chicks that were already hatched took priority with my hot water bottle. I'll need to pick up some more.

I'm a bit weary of the Hot Packs, as they can go up to 110f from what I've heard.

I do like the idea of the warm sand though! Thanks! I'll need to figure out something along those lines!

20240421_011732.jpg

Back
Top Bottom