Shipping and Receiving Pea eggs contest!

Yep, they are back to laying. I've gotten 4 since monday (but they had pricked a pinhole in one... I patched it with a dot of nail polish, but I'm not going to put it through shipping unless you are desperate) and hopefully will get a few more before I ship on monday. It was ungodly hot here today, so I took them out some bags of ice and filled their pond with it and put chips of ice under Osiris' feathers because she was being nosy. At least they are being really smart- they found a portion of their shed that has a cool air current running over it, dug a bowl, and are laying there. So even though it's really hot, the eggs are cool to the touch when I collect them after work. whew, good girls!
I would have used candle wax instead of nail polish with the acetone in it,,

It's the ethyl acetate in nail polish that smells so strongly- it's not particularly harmful, it's basically ethanol so it evaporates really fast. Candle wax is definitely a better idea, I just didn't have any around that I could find.

Last edited:
Any update on how the eggs that have been shipped are hatching for people. I am down to one egg left in the Incubator out of my 6. It was alive and moving on June 20th but candled a couple times this last week and I am not seeing movement or change. I think the pea should be filling the egg more at this point. I have montered this hatch very close keeping even temp and humidity and made sure it was turned 3-5 x's a day. I have even moved this lonely egg around different spots in the bator. He's due to arrive July 6th, goes into lock down tomorrow, but since 1/3 of egg is still clear. Not good.

Lil Zoo, a way to tell if baby didn't make it is if the veins disappear. That's generally how I can tell.
This egg is real poris it's been hard to see the viens, but I did see the eye and movement before and could make out the shape. I couldn't see the veins on the peep I got but continued to see him move and at the end push up on the air sac. This one doesn't but hate to not give it the benefit till the last day being an ametuer at peas. The others I could tell. The one with irregular airsac was a good starter but you could see the ring at the airsac. When I took him out to the ditch he was formed but diffinately dead

I've had some eggs that jiggled like jello one day and the next day you thought they was in a coma,,and then the next day they was full of life again.Holding the pointy end upwards somewhat and locating the air sack enlarged area along one side of the egg is easiest to detect movement,,the peachick will be kinda pushed against the membtane in this position because of gravity,,,you should be able to witness it's breathing if nothing else,,,but it may only be a slight almost unnoticable movement.

I've had some eggs that jiggled like jello one day and the next day you thought they was in a coma,,and then the next day they was full of life again.Holding the pointy end upwards somewhat and locating the air sack enlarged area along one side of the egg is easiest to detect movement,,the peachick will be kinda pushed against the membtane in this position because of gravity,,,you should be able to witness it's breathing if nothing else,,,but it may only be a slight almost unnoticable movement.
That worked. I do see some movement and also note veins to the yolk part, but so much area is left. The airsac is tilted and shrinking though maybe that will make him look more developed soon. Will wait him out and hope. The other 3 looked like they were jammed in the egg for sometime, I increased humidity in hopes this guy wouldn't be shrink wrapped. Maybe that's the reason he isn't filling the egg as fast.

Back
Top Bottom