Shipping chicks in winter

Traceaskew

In the Brooder
Nov 30, 2015
Maryland
I ordered 30 chicks from Meyers poultry in PA (3 hrs from me) and they assured me as long as there was 25 they should be fine. They were shipped on Monday and came in at 5 am this morning. The post office called me when they got there, but sadly they were all dead. I was sick over it. I called the hatchery and all they will do is reship another batch. I tried to find out if I could go to the processing center to get them and the postal service said no. The lady at the post office told me if they had been shipped express, they'd have gotten here overnight. I called Meyers back and they told me they only do express for ducks, even tho I offered to pay extra, they won't do it. I also asked about picking up and they won't allow that till spring. If I have to open another box of dead chicks, I'm not going to be able to take it :(.

I just can't understand why they won't do express or let me pick them up for Petes sake! I'm willing to drive 3 hours!

I know many here do not raise chicks in winter, but some do. I'm sure I'll get a few saying it's my fault for ordering in the winter. It's just Murphy's law that it's been 70 degrees all winter until last night :(

Sorry for you and the chicks.
hugs.gif
That's terrible. I would think since it's their full time business, the folks at Meyer would either not ship in bad weather or take more precautions. Seems very unreasonable that they won't let you pay for Express delivery. Maybe you can request a shipping date later in spring. Hope it goes better next time.

I ordered 30 chicks from Meyers poultry in PA (3 hrs from me) and they assured me as long as there was 25 they should be fine. They were shipped on Monday and came in at 5 am this morning. The post office called me when they got there, but sadly they were all dead. I was sick over it. I called the hatchery and all they will do is reship another batch. I tried to find out if I could go to the processing center to get them and the postal service said no. The lady at the post office told me if they had been shipped express, they'd have gotten here overnight. I called Meyers back and they told me they only do express for ducks, even tho I offered to pay extra, they won't do it. I also asked about picking up and they won't allow that till spring. If I have to open another box of dead chicks, I'm not going to be able to take it
sad.png

I just can't understand why they won't do express or let me pick them up for Petes sake! I'm willing to drive 3 hours!

I know many here do not raise chicks in winter, but some do. I'm sure I'll get a few saying it's my fault for ordering in the winter. It's just Murphy's law that it's been 70 degrees all winter until last night
sad.png
Do you mean Myers in South Fork, PA or Meyer in OH? I contacted both before, and both will let me pick up any number of chicks. You may call them again and ask to talk to the manager. Worst case, you can ask them to delay your order until it's warmer.

Do you mean Myers in South Fork, PA or Meyer in OH? I contacted both before, and both will let me pick up any number of chicks. You may call them again and ask to talk to the manager. Worst case, you can ask them to delay your order until it's warmer. 

Meyers in South Fork. I did speak to a manager and she said this time of year they come from somewhere else, and are shipped direct to me. So if I wanted to pick up, they'd have to be shipped to Meyers...same travel time. The even more frustrating part is that The postal worker told me the distribution center is 20 min from me! So they sit an extra night for no reason! The postal worker told me they don't allow customers to go there but she's going to try to get through and find out if they'll make an exception. This has been so frustrating.

Meyers in South Fork. I did speak to a manager and she said this time of year they come from somewhere else, and are shipped direct to me. So if I wanted to pick up, they'd have to be shipped to Meyers...same travel time. The even more frustrating part is that The postal worker told me the distribution center is 20 min from me! So they sit an extra night for no reason! The postal worker told me they don't allow customers to go there but she's going to try to get through and find out if they'll make an exception. This has been so frustrating.
I can feel your pain. I heard that they drop orders from Meyer in OH for layers and hatch meat birds themselves. I think Meyer can add an extra heating pad to your order with a small extra cost. Maybe see if they will let you do that. Otherwise, just let them ship your order during a warm month. Myers personnel seems very nice, so they may be willing to help you in a possible way.

I can feel your pain. I heard that they drop orders from Meyer in OH for layers and hatch meat birds themselves. I think Meyer can add an extra heating pad to your order with a small extra cost. Maybe see if they will let you do that. Otherwise, just let them ship your order during a warm month. Myers personnel seems very nice, so they may be willing to help you in a possible way.

Well I convinced them to ship express. Unfortunately, they went out today although we had a warm up, the temps dropped again! I'm just praying they will make it :(
I would've canceled and waited till a later month but they were already scheduled to hatch and will kill any chicks that don't get sold, so I figure this way, they have a shot. fingers crossed!

Trace, you've had a time of it! I won't even comment on how it was all handled from a commercial hatchery....I'm just glad the new ones got there safely! Are you using Mama Heating Pad for them too?

Trace, you've had a time of it!  I won't even comment on how it was all handled from a commercial hatchery....I'm just glad the new ones got there safely!  Are you using Mama Heating Pad for them too?

They sure are under a MHP! :) the first 3 I got are in the coop now with their MHP, and I made another one for these 12 (the ones I kept...the rest were for a friend.) they are all doing great so far! I was going to move them outside to the coop today but we are getting a giant blizzard tomorrow night and I'm afraid we might loose power. The 3 out there now are pretty well feathered and much heartier so if for some reason, the power goes out while we're sleeping and I don't know it, I think they'd have a much better chance of being ok. I plan to move them out Monday. I'm a little concerned about integrating them with the 3 silkies. They are 4 weeks old and my babies were just hatched Tuesday. Any tips?

Back
Top Bottom