Shipping Eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Zgm12, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Zgm12

Zgm12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2014
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Good luck! Sometimes it helps to keep a few extra thermometers in the incubator to watch the temperature. I sometimes have problems with my incubator being too low. Post some pictures of your chicks if it all works out.

2. loraangel

loraangel Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2016
    South Dakota
    Thanks I definitely will! Do you hatch a lot of eggs?

3. loraangel

Apr 10, 2016
    South Dakota
    This is the first time I have ever hatched anything I'm nervous about not doing it right during lock down.

4. rottlady

rottlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2016
    Georges Mills, NH
    it is funny. way back in the 80's before internet I shipped in a lot of Button quail eggs until I had accumulated my breeding stock. I hatched out a LOT of eggs. Better than 80% hatch rate on shipped in an original round Hovabator still air

Fast forward to now, getting back into birds 30 years later with a new square Hovabator still air and I am a neurotic mess. People keep telling me you are lucky to get 50% hatch and often nothing on shipped eggs. Eggs and shipping is a LOT more expensive now.

I have 35 eggs in incubator.
    4 from a local girl ironically they are all clear duds today is day 7 for them no sign of life,
    12 from NY but they were driven to me and I have several I cannot see into at all (dark thick shells) but a couple are for sure clears, 1 looks to be a quitter and praying for hatched chicks. - due to hatch the 25th
    15 from North Carolina and on day 5 I had 12 I was sure were live. recandled tonight and some look like they may have quit
    4 from Washington state and 3 seem to be progressing ok. the 15 and 4 are due to hatch on the 28th

fingers crossed

5. loraangel

Apr 10, 2016
    South Dakota
    Hope you have some good luck with hatching ! I have 3 dozen in right now haven't counted how many are growing yet but hopefully a get at least 25 percent of my eggs to hatch I spent a lot on silkie eggs

6. Zgm12

Jul 29, 2014
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I have done about 4 or 5 hatches...most of the time with broodies, but I have never gotten shipped eggs before. I really hope everything goes well. The eggs were really expensive.

7. loraangel

Apr 10, 2016
    South Dakota
    I have spent a lot also I counted I have at least ten out of that two dozen that are already started so I know the eggs from magnolia silkies are good. Hope you have good luck with yours also!

8. Zgm12

Jul 29, 2014
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I just got my eggs in the mail today. The shipping was really fast and none were cracked. I will set them tomorrow after they've had time to settle. How are both of your eggs doing? @loraangel @rotttlady

9. loraangel

Apr 10, 2016
    South Dakota
    That's great! I got the last of my eggs in the mail today also. I was pretty upset yesterday I had already named the one chick lol and I'm pretty sure it died I have no clue why but I guess I shouldn't get attached until they actually hatch and are doing well. I do have 25 other eggs that have life inside I have a few different hatch dates so I got another incubator for hatching. Hopefully I have some good luck with the rest of these. :)

10. Zgm12

Jul 29, 2014
    Pittsburgh, PA
    That's unfortunate that the little one didn't make it. They always say "don't count your chickens until they hatch," but I know how difficult it is to not get attached. What color silkies did you get? I got blue/splash eggs from her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by