Shipping Hatching Eggs

Trouble is when eggs are packed too closely together without enough padding in between they bump and break each other, if you put something between the eggs to absorb the shock you will end up with less loss.

The eggs I recieved from pasifinofarms were packed extremely well, not one was broke, wish I took a pic, there was a thick layer of shopping bags for padding all around, each egg had a lot of bubblewrap, then was wrapped with newspaper, and more shopping bags were over the top.

my eggs where not broken except for one. my problem was broken air sacks. does bubble wrap help in preventing this also? (shaken egg basically)

I don't believe anything can stop that from happening. Postal workers just don't handle boxes with care.
barnie.gif

Quote:
Very nice! Thank you. But just a note to say that when I got my Silkie eggs from eggbid last year (those are the chickens that laid the eggs I shipped), each egg was wrapped in a paper towel, and they were packed loose in a bunch of newspaper. Out of 10 eggs, one was broken. The company's logo was all over the box and it was marked hatching eggs. 8 out of the 9 eggs hatched! I thought I had packed my eggs well. The buyer said only one egg did not break. However, I neglected to ask how the box looked. The quail eggs I had a problem with last summer arrived to their destination with my box looking like a truck ran over it. Why is the post office allowed to treat packages that way! I wished I had asked the buyer for a picture of the box. I will pack more carefully next time and use some of your suggestions that I got on this forum. However, I am getting very discouraged. First, my quail eggs all broken with an angry buyer, now the Silkie eggs!
barnie.gif
barnie.gif
barnie.gif
barnie.gif
barnie.gif
barnie.gif
barnie.gif
barnie.gif

Last edited:
SillySilkyMom, Don't give up. Eggs do manage to survive shipping but from what I can tell smaller eggs are harder than larger ones. Also expect at least 50% to get damaged or not develop and that is if none get broken. a broken egg is one thing but broken air cells is another. Even then if a box is crushed, well there is only so much anyone can do to protect the eggs. Like I said, I don't think the packing was the problem with the eggs I got. I think they just got tossed by someone at some point. people that handle packages all day long will do that sort of thing. they do not walk over and carefully set down every box they handle. I am a supply parson for a University and have 2 warehouses. people will push a box off the top of a 7 foot pallet and let it crash into the floor rather than lift it down. No shipping method is ever going to be good for eggs.

I had some quail eggs shipped a coupla weeks ago polyfil on the bottom of the box eggs were in foam polyfil on top of the box abot double the thickness of my hand did,nt have any broken eggs came from Fla. to Va. if when I ship I will probally do it the same way

I have shipped hundreds over the last 4 years, not one broken egg. and I dont wrap them in bubble wrap. I did have pics posted on another thread, but lost all pics on my puter , had to restore to the beginning.

Even had a guy that said the box had a hole big enought to put 4 finger in it. Not one broken egg.

Now broken air cells can be from shaking boxes. I do mark all my boxes fragile , and hatching eggs.

My eggs are shipped large end up too..

Will have to get more pics taken. One thing is have a dead air space top,bottem, and the sides.

Sad thing the USPS Will sell you insurance, but will not pay for broken eggs only lost packages.

We all need to learn before shipping eggs, my first year i try differents ways, now I have it down.

For real not one broken egg in 4 years !!!!!!!! my feedback on ebay bgcbird, shows that.

I haven't been shipping eggs as long but I have yet to have a broken egg and the majority of my customers have had 60%-100% hatch rates even on eggs shipped across the country. I wrap each egg individually with bubble wrap and then wrap the eggs by groups of 6 or 8 very tightly in another layer of bubble wrap. Then I pack and I mean really stuff the box with wads of newspaper all around and in between the groups of eggs and espeacially tightly across the top and bottom of the box. LEAVE NO ROOM FOR SHAKING OR MOVEMENT!!! I mark all of my boxes fragile and hatching eggs. In my experiance the eggs that develope the best and have the fewest broken air cells are one that have no room for movement in the box. I have a batch of shipped eggs with 100% development in my incubator and they were packed in this way. The less succesful batches of shipped eggs I have recieved have come individually wraped but loose in the box with shreded paper or wraped with tissues in egg cartons.
Just my limited experiance and opinion,
Henry

Back
Top Bottom