Shipping loss

Cribbs74

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 17, 2013
I ordered 22 chickens and received 6 live. This is the second time this has happened in the past year It's getting very annoying.

Nothing makes me more sick to bury little lifeless Silkies and Black Copper Marans.

Does this happen often? Or am I just unlucky?

Ron

Hi,

We once received an order with some dead chicks. Not fun. This happens, usually the company will replace the dead chicks for free and might give you extra to fill out the order again.

HS Pye

Don't feel TOO bad (I know, easier said than done). It is very, very common that not all of your chicks will make it in transit, although my experience is that your number of 6 out of 22 is a little on the low side. My experiences have been usually better than half making it.

Bigger birds tend to have lower mortality rates, if it really bothers you and you want to try and keep the deaths as low as possible. I have *heard* (not sure how true it is), that more baby chicks die from poor living conditions than from being shipped through the mail. I haven't had terrible experiences with either (normal amounts, I feel), but I could see how this might be the case.

From efowl.com. But I don't have any particular loyalties anywhere. In fact, I think it's probably a good idea to try out new places, and am talking myself into doing that next time.

I ordered 22 chickens and received 6 live. This is the second time this has happened in the past year It's getting very annoying.

Nothing makes me more sick to bury little lifeless Silkies and Black Copper Marans.

Does this happen often? Or am I just unlucky?

Ron

where did u order from

I ordered from Meyer, I called them and they said they will replace them.

My concern is my loss rate. Perhaps it's too cold to ship? Although the shipment previous to this one was in the late summer and it was lost by USPS and arrived 2 days late.

So of I have them send more is this going to happen again?

I am just frustrated with receiving a bunch of dead birds.

Hearing a lot of this from different blogs, Facebook pages, etc. Chicks through the mail has been done successfully for generations. I think what's going on has more to do with extreme cold temps and both air freight as well as ground freight being delayed due to snow. It's been an unusually cold and snowy winter, especially if your chicks have to travel north for any reason.

Those being shipped March - May will probably fare better. Of course, chicks die for all sorts of reasons but those shipped in milder weather have one less strike against them.

Tuttle Oklahoma,

2 of those six are not doing well and look bad. Won't stay upright and keep flipping on their backs. Syringe feeding water with electrolytes and keeping them warm in my wife's shirt.

They shipped on the 3rd and arrived today. My wife drove to USPS in OKC to get them as they would have been sitting another day otherwise

So the end count may be four out of 22

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom