Shipping times to different States from MM?

Winter

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 2, 2008
I am confused. I have an order from McMurray coming that are supposed to leave the Hatchery Saturday from the Friday overnight hatch.
The order is going to MT but I actually live in Alberta. I have to drive ~3 hours to the post office to get the chicks which means I will have to leave home before I get a call from the post office. Thing is, MM told me the chicks should get there Sunday- Monday or Tuesday. Tuesday seems awfully late to me for those babies and the post office is closed Sunday!
So, do I just get up early Monday morning and start driving?
Yikes, I am so nervous for the babies. Do you just through them in the car and start driving or transfer them immidiately to a rubbermaid on the floor with water already in it?

I am in NE West Virginia and the only two orders I did from MM were hard on our chicks. Same info you gave as far as when they send them out, but last spring (2007) we got our chicks on a Tuesday and the same thing this year.

This last batch was shipped over a weekend where we had a cold front come through with 20 degree weather for 2 or 3 days - practically the whole time they were in transit. We got 26 - one was dead in the box, and we lost 5 more in the first 2 days. The rest were all fine after that.

Luckily we are only 15 minutes from the post office where they came in, so I had them home in their pre-warmed brooder with food waiting. I also get the Quick-Chick vitamin and electrolyte mix from MM, so I mixed up a quick batch of water with this mixture and gave it to them ASAP - with a bit of sugar added to help perk them up a bit faster.

If I order from them again, I will REQUIRE overnight shipping - or I will go through another source. I know there are companies that send them out overnight, but I don't know who they are. Two or three of our local suppliers have told me that they always get their chicks next day (they just don't get the type we were looking for). One of them we have dealt with for a while and I trust them - I believe they are getting overnight shipping and it's not just sales hype.

Good luck! Check to see if they will ship overnight - I'd rather pay a little extra and get them all alive and heathy than have to watch suffering baby chicks. 8(

Andrew

I am so torn on what to do. If I leave Monday morning before a call from the Post Office, only to have them arrive Tuesday I will have wasted a lot of time driving PLUS I can't miss that much work.
OR should I wait until they call me Monday morning then start driving, the chicks will be waiting 3 hours at the post office if I do that but then I will not spend and extra day I don't have to if they arrive Tuesday.....

If it were me, in your shoes, and taking a day off from work wouldn't be an issue, I'd wait for the call, then go get them. Three more hours (six round trip) isn't going to make much difference over the whole shipping ordeal. You'll need to spend some time with them, once you get them, to set them up, make sure their water and food is prepped, etc... If any of them are weak or having issues, you may need to help them out with some extra goodies and such. It makes everything go better when your have the day off so you can pay attention to them, especially with such a long drive.

Just think of it as the postman making a special trip to your house without them having to be left at the front door
wink.png

I'm guessing here, but I would say that since it is such a long drive, I'd leave them in their shipping box (so they can be close to each other and maintain their body heat better). Then give them their stuff once you're home. I would think trying to put them in a bigger box ,without a heat lamp, for the drive might cool them off more and water would be hard to deal with without getting them wet (and even more cold). They could eat that way, but I think with the possibility of getting cold and maybe not being able to drink, they would be better to just wait a little longer.

Just my two cents!

Andrew

My post office doesnt open til 8 am but I called them a few days before my delivery was expected and explained to them the situation. They have people there sorting at 6 am when the truck comes in with the delivery so they agreed to call me and allow me to pick up the chicks before the PO was open. They just let me go to the back door and pick up the chicks before the post office opens. Maybe if its sorta the same there they could call you before the PO opens so you can at least know the chicks are there and get on the road?? Hope that helps, call them mine has always been most helpful.

Great, thanks for the advice. I've decided I will come to work early on Monday morning then leave straight from there when they call. If they don't call Monday, I will leave first thing Tuesday on the assumption that they will for sure be there that day and not wait for the call.
Yikes, I am so excited!
I called the post office already but the man was kind of strange, I am going to call again just to be sure.
Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom