Shock from Cold after nursing in House?

sarak

Chirping
6 Years
Nov 7, 2013
Northern Wisconsin
I have a 9 month old buff orpinton hen who developed a serious limp today. There is no apparent injury or bumblefoot. I am considering bringing her inside to confine her in a dog crate and keep an eye on her. But, I am wondering, when she recovers, if she will go into shock after being in the house if I return her outside to the cold. She would be going from a warm house back outside in WI where we are having highs in the teens and lows in the single digits for the foreseeable future. I would love any advice.

If your coop is large enough, why not confine her to a dog crate with food and water for a week to rest the leg? Add some poultry vitamins or B complex to her water, and evaluate it in a week to see if it needs more time. Also examine her foot pad for any dark spot as well as the leg and joints for any swelling or redness.

Last edited:
The dog crate is too big for the coop, but i had considered putting it in the unheated garage. I just felt she might heal better out of the cold. It's been pretty brutal this month. Not to mention the hassle of keeping her water from freezing in these temps without a second water heater to put in the crate.

There are no black spots or obvious redness or swelling. She will stand to eat but doesn't walk well. I also checked for an impacted egg and didn't feel anything, unless it is way up in there. I am really hoping she just sprained her leg somehow coming down off the roost.

Is she holding the leg up, or does she seem like the leg is numb and use her wings to help balance? Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? You could bring her in tonight and try to decide what is best in the future. If you can place her in a cooler area of the house, or close a door, it may be less of a shock after a day or two.

She does not hold the leg up and does not use her wings for balance. Just really favors the right side with a limp. She seems to stand OK (with both feet on the ground) but lays down after taking a few steps. Yes, she was vaccinated for Mareks. Last time I checked on her she was standing in the coop (she had been laying down the other 2 times I went out). It may have been a fluke, but in case it is getting better and is just a sprain, I was thinking of leaving her out there tonight and seeing how she is in the morning. If she is not seeming better I'll consider bringing her in tomorrow rather than risk the large temperature swings.

Change in temp never good. Plan to keep her in until weather warms up if you do bring her in. That is what i was told.you can not isolate her in the cold they use each other for warmth.

Thanks. I thought the same thing. She is resting comfortably in the coop (although still limping). I plan to leave her there as long as no one starts to bully her. I do worry though, as I am guessing she is not roosting with that sore leg.

Back
Top Bottom