Shocker Price for Feed

It depends on where you are. In FL, duckweed is considered invasive. Because your pond has been classified as protected, I would check with the state. I would think that where you are it would die off in the winter. Also, depending on the size of your pond and the number of species eating it, it could become out of control. Fish will also eat it.

Where I live common or lesser duckweed Lemna Minor grows naturally in every roadside ditch and is a native plant: This is the plant to which I am referring. My state does have an invasive species list, but regular duckweed is not on it: Just the giant variety Landoltia punctata .

Now, the invasive species worry only comes into play if you are growing it where it finding its way into the waterways is a possibility. If you are growing it say in a stock tank away from an area where run-off would lead into a pond, creek. stream, or lake the duckweed would die once the water dried up.

Here is a link to a page that has summaries of and links to some research data on using Common Duckweed as feed.
http://www.mobot.org/jwcross/duckweed/feed-supplement.htm

I have a question about duckweed. Is it considered an invasive species? I thought that it was, so I was surprised when I learned that people actually buy it. Maybe it's only certain species of duckweed. Does anyone know? I ask because I would like try growing it for my waterfowl, but I also have a pond on my property that the county has classified as a protected wetland. I do not want it to be taken over by duckweed.

Check your department of Wildlife and Fisheries website. That is mostly the agency that maintains the invasive species list. Google Washington Invasive Water Plants and see what you come up with. Here, I cannot bring in Water Hycinth, Water Lettuce, Salvinia, Duck Lettuce, Water Chestnut and a small handful or other plants.

If you don't have a lot of ducks you could grow it in an aquarium, but would probably have a difficult time getting enough to feed out (can be dried and mixed in their feed).

To buy duckweed? a pond shop.. that is where i buy mine for the Koi pond i have. However this year i went with fairymoss.
I bought parrot feather for my fish pond because it will winter over here sometimes[ depending on how cold we get] but i don't have to worry about it wintering over the fish ate all of it.
sad.png
Fairy moss sounds interesting will have to look into it if we have it in the US

To buy duckweed? a pond shop.. that is where i buy mine for the Koi pond i have. However this year i went with fairymoss.

Found your state list. The Department of Ecology has it and I didn't see duckweed on it:
http://www.ecy.wa.gov/programs/wq/plants/weeds/

Their are several pond/aquarium plant stores online. Instead of going to a local ditch or pond to get my starter plants I am getting mine online. Duckweed is also a natural biofilter and is used to help clean chemicals and pollutants out of water. So, to insure you are getting clean, non-toxic duckweed, buying aquarium grown for starter plants would be best.

One other thing from personal experience: Don't put your starter plants in a pond where your ducks can access it and expect it to grow faster than the ducks eat. I can all but guarantee their won't be one single tiny piece left after the ducks find it. The natural ponds you see covered in the stuff may only be frequented by migratory waterfowl, and therefore have many, many months to reproduce while only being eaten by the local fish and wildlife. You will need to grow it somewhere they cannot get at it and give them servings.

Back
Top Bottom