Shop bought duck eggs on lockdown

BunBon

In the Brooder
Oct 12, 2019
Hey peeps :jumpy
Just wanting some experienced opinions
Do you reckon this incubator humidity reading is off? It's still only saying between 59-65% humidity. Temp is at 37.4C
94552551_232515811362549_4568323560455536640_n.jpg

It looks really humid in there, I've filled both channels with water and also added a big tub of water.
I don't see how I could get it up to 85% humidity, as there's not much more room.
Duck eggs are currently on day 27 (put em into lockdown 2 days ago).

Back story:
The success rate has been pretty low, I started with 15 eggs and now left with only six. Lots of the eggs started developing but died. I'm hoping the temp/humidty hasn't been wrong the whole time.
Also, given I bought these duck eggs from the shop (for eating), I've been gambling that they aren't Muscovies and therefore would take 35 days to hatch.
The incubator was a pretty cheap one from Ebay. No name brand.

What are your thoughts? Is it too humid in there?

Thanks for any help! Xx🦆🦆🐣

Way to humid. Do you have a separate thermometer with a hygrometer? Why are you doing 85% humidity? 70-75% is max.

Thanks so much for replying!
Just to clarify, the humidity reader is only currently reading 66%. But are you agreeing that it simply looks too humid in there?
No I don't have any other accurate thermometer/hydrometer.

As an update, I can hear peeping coming from them. Does that mean they have broken into the air cell? It's now day 28.
No pips yet.
Thanks again!

I was trying to get it to 85% because I read in a few places that's the right humidity for lockdown

Ok just a quick update, I guess the humidity must be okay cos a duckling just hatched this morning (day 29). Woke up at 4.30am just in time to see it hatch. There are two others that have pipped but nothing else yet. On my way to work now. Probably a good thing so I don't sit around all day stressing out 😂. Yay for mystery ducklings.
20200501_044850.jpg

20200501_060231.jpg

Ok just a quick update, I guess the humidity must be okay cos a duckling just hatched this morning (day 29). Woke up at 4.30am just in time to see it hatch. There are two others that have pipped but nothing else yet. On my way to work now. Probably a good thing so I don't sit around all day stressing out 😂. Yay for mystery ducklings.View attachment 2116310
View attachment 2116309
Congrats! I am in lockdown with only one chicken egg (only one was fertile), and I dream every night of waking up to a chick. I can't stop thinking about it, because I have the incubator next to my bed. It is day 19 and nothing yet. Extremely nervous! Good luck with your other eggs!

Back
Top Bottom